[Chapter 33 part 1] Silver - Werewolves

So this is the Pillar of Enera. Silver stood on a miniature island before a beam of solid light. Behind him, the sun was setting on the Blue Abyss. Above, three miles of city was brightening as the sky dimmed. The crowd flowed around him from glass bridges.

There was a massacre here not long ago. The Laughing Man impersonator had attacked late at night, striking everyone down with golden spears. No trace is left. He peered upwards. A week later that same villain crashed an airship into the pillar.

Even after those tragedies, the place remained busy. It's to be expect. This was the legendary artifact which had saved and reshaped the world. One that still plays a vital role. Without it, there'd be no warping, and Enera's global information network would be lost.

The base was forty feet wide and perfectly circular. No indication of any entrances. He approached and placed his hand on the tangible light. It's hard, but warm. Using his aura, he tried getting a feel for the material but failed. Indestructible from without.

"And Hope can open this..." Silver murmured.

"Hope can what?" A voice said behind him, startling him. Who?

A tall girl was staring curiously. She wore a flower-patterned tunic, her long hazel hair in a pony tail. Behind her, Kate was shaking her head. After splitting earlier, he'd gone to the pillar while she waited for her friend. So this must be Yvonne.

"Let me explain." Kate interjected herself, discretely stomping on his foot. Deserved. "Silver's sister is an amazing enchantress. He's under the delusion she can do anything, but, obviously, that's not really the case."

"I see." Yvonne studied him intensely.

Silver did his best to remember the intelligence Kate had shared. Yvonne Singer was her oldest friend and the daughter of the Noaranian ambassador. Her magical ability was average, but her combat sense was extraordinary. She had wood affinity, using bows and quarterstaffs. Extremely intelligent, she loved to pry and had a fondness for gossip. Kate, why is she so problematic? They'd settled on keeping most details secret, especially the bit about doppelgangers. This wasn't off to a great start.

"Hate to break it to you, but this——" Yvonne knocked on the pillar. "——is god level construct. No one, not even an immortal, can alter it." Hope doesn't need to, she already has permission to enter.

After proper introductions, Yvonne leaned close to Kate, "You didn't mention he's one of those 'mysterious ninjas'. Come to think of it, you haven't told me much of anything lately. What're you hiding?"

"Yvonne," Kate reproached. "You promised to behave."

"You can't really hold me to that!" Yvonne complained, backing down. "You're my inside source for palace chatter, and you've gone dry on me."

Kate sighed, "Let's head to dinner. I'm sure I can scrounge up something to satisfy you." Interesting relationship...

As they crossed to the Level 3's main floor, Yvonne clicked her tongue, "I still don't care for these bridges."

"Nervous?" Silver asked. He was surprised to find someone else with that phobia. Shouldn't she have grown out of it?

"No, well, a little." Yvonne struggle for words. "I'm normally fine with high places. It's the glass I have issue with. I strongly believe the ground should be visible. It doesn't feel solid otherwise." That sounds like something Dawn would say.

"This——" She stamped her foot. "——is damn near transparent. It's as if your walking on nothing."

Silver looked down. Below the Isle's last two miles, two skyrivers whirled together towards the Blue Abyss. Further still, SpiralCity was illuminated by a fading light bloom. I enjoy the view personally.