[Chapter 31 part 3] Hope - Visiting The Shrines of the Lost

...

What do I do? She was considering fleeing when Soul, Free, and Rose walked in.

"Soul!" She rushed over and explained the situation.

"I see." Soul turned to Sarah. "It's nearly time for Hope's match. Maybe Rose here can satisfy your curiosity instead?"

"I'd love to." Rose agreed. "And I've my own questions. Care to grab a drink?"

With Sarah lead away, Hope asked, "What're you doing here?"

"We came early to show support." Free explained. That makes sense for Rose and Free, but Soul's fight is much later. Maybe he's anticipating a loss and intends to cheer me up. If so, I won't let that happen.

"By the way, what'd you think of our new outfits?" Free asked. She was wearing a green ninja suit and Soul a white one. Rose was crimson, if I remember.

"They look fine." Hope answered noncommittally. It was hard to focus on anything but her upcoming fight.

"You're up." Soul pointed to the large 'mirrors' which reflected the arena outside. The previous round had just ended.

"Good luck!" Free encouraged.

Finally. "Don't worry, I'll win." Hope declared defiantly.

Defeat was not acceptable. She liked winning. She had four victories now and didn't want to go back to losing. Not so soon anyway. Hope walked to the entrance and waited as the announcer's voice boomed.

"IN THE SOUTH RING WEST CORNER, RAZOR HUE OF KALONIA. HE'S A 'B' RANK ADVENTURER WHOSE GAINED FAME AS DRAGONFORMING WARRIOR."

Amid the crowd's roaring, a man in his mid-twenties entered the ring. He was six feet with short black hair and a loose-fitting green tunic. At his waist hung a broadsword. Hope judged him fairly handsome as far as that went. I've been too angry to care about such things.

"IN THE SOUTH RING EAST CORNER, HOPE FROM TIMBAKU. A MYSTERIOUS NINJA WITH NO LAST NAME OR HISTORY. SHE USES METAL BENDING AND A PAIR OF REVOLVERS."

That's my queue. She stepped out on the sandy dirt in front of thousands of watchful eyes. Thank god I upgraded my clothes. Yesterday she'd discovered, through Agata, a guild store selling 'authentic' ninja gear. I can't believe it's that popular. Keenly aware of the audience from her morning fights, she'd paid an immediately visit and chosen a grey outfit. The others had obviously done the same.

"BY THE WAY, THIS AFTERNOON WILL BE FILLED WITH NINJAS, FROM WEAKEST TO STRONGEST. PLEASE LOOK FORWARD TO IT."

I hate this announcer. Although vexingly true, there should be no way for outsiders to know. At least I won't have to listen to him soon. Outside noise was filtered out once a match began.

"READY?"

Hope sensed powerful channeling, and Razor's figure blurred. Dragonforming. Once her vision cleared, she saw a nine foot scaled warrior complete with claws, wings, and a tail. He grew in size. She was facing an opponent nearly twice her size. Kinda daunting.

At least I have an information advantage. She'd won her first three fights with just metal bending. Only yesterday had she been forced to draw her revolvers. Thanks to this, she'd kept her enchantments hidden.

That won't be possible here. Her steel wouldn't penetrate that hide, and she'd yet to experiment with stronger metals. Her revolvers might work if her shots connected cleanly, but she doubted it'd be that easy.