[Chapter 12] Hope - The Black Citadel

What a timely distraction. They were flying low, and below was the usual arctic expanse. We're not quite there.

"So you took a detour." Astra said.

"Yes, I thought it worth showing them."

Astra nodded, "We'll continue later."

Hope pressed against the glass. The ground is sloping. As it steepened, another white landscape came into view.

"The Blue Abyss floats off the coast, half a mile down." Simon said.

Focusing on where the snowdrift fell off, Hope wished she could could see better, "Can you turn on the floodlights?"

"Sure, but it won't do much with the distances." Simon answered.

Passing the edge, the area below lit up. Those were stones after all. Snow sugarcoated the cliff. The bedrock went straight down, disappearing into the darkness.

"It's a six mile drop to the new crust." Simon announced, bringing them to a halt.

Hope turned and frowned. What's with that? The Blue Abyss's top was flat ice which curved downward in a quarter circle nearing the void. As expected so far. After that, the vertical frozen surface arched the other way and finished in gigantic icicles aimed under the arctic. Like an endless row of sharp teeth.

"Wondering about the shape?" Astra commented.

"Very much so." She said.

"Look there," Astra gestured. "As snow accumulates on the continent, some gets pushed over the edge." She made a pulling motion, jerking the airship. What just happened?

"See?" A chunk of ice was tumbling down. "It's a solid, so it falls normally." Her reach is crazy.

"Once it hits the new crust, it'll melt and become subject to a different gravitational field, dropping upwards towards the Blue Abyss." Astra explained. "Simon, please lower us close and kill the engine." Hope momentarily panicked before remembering the airship levitated even when shut down.

"Everyone be quiet." Astra said once they'd stopped. Soon the silence was broken by dripping. "That's the water landing and growing the stalactites." So that's why they points there.

"Enera's awesome." Light said.

"It was wonderful even before Sola blew it up." Their mother replied sadly, "I wish you could've seen it back then."

There was an awkward pause. "Sorry about that..." Light said. "I'm serious this time." This time?

"My original was a real bitch, wasn't she?" Free chimed in. What a bizarre way to lighted the mood.

"Yes, she was." Astra smiled. "But remember, her actions have nothing to do with you."

Live 'free' from the past... She considered herself. Hope... "My name... It's because of the Pillar of Enera, isn't it?" She asked.

Hesitating, Astra nodded, "It was Jenna's idea."

"Can we go out on deck?" Silver asked.

Hope looked over as if he was mad, then regretted it. I forget he feel no fear. Heights meant nothing. What's more, with his ability, there's little danger.

"That isn't a good idea." Astra said. "There's no railings." She's worried we'll follow him.

Silver was oblivious to the concern, "I won't fall so that doesn't matter. So I can go?"