[Chapter 35 part 4] Rose - Argent Tobaskus

...

Wait, maybe I can do something about this. Rose didn't know about Lily, but she was certain Astra owned a sizable fortune. Nero manages her investments.

"How much would it take to bring the Undercity's security in line with the rest." She inquired tentatively.

The figure she received caused her blood to drain. "That... much?"

Argent chuckled, "The Undercity makes up twenty eight percent of the Isle. Raising its ISF presence from undermanned to overstaffed would require considerable expenses. There's the salaries for new recruits, the hiring process, the training, the equipment, the construction of new facilities..." I'm a little naive.

"Were you considering approaching Astra?" Argent peered keenly.

"I was." Rose admitted.

"It's a sound idea. Lily can't provide us additional funds as it'd be seen as usurping the steward's budgetary control. However, an infusion from Astra Skyfell is a different story." Argent smirked wickedly. "Sarah Godspeed is rumored to be intimidated by the new guildmaster, and I doubt she'd dare raise a fuss." Mother can indeed be terrifying.

"I'll send you an estimate for a fifty percent increase in the policing force." Argent finished. "You can try with that smaller number."

Rose wondered why Arther Bard hadn't considered the approach before immediately recognizing her foolishness. He took time off to personally resolve the Isle's woes. That intervention was worth more than any monetary aid.

"Is there more you wish to see?" Argent asked.

"One last detour, please. The crime scene where people were cut in half." With three reference points, it'd be possible to roughly triangulate the Blood Arena's entrance.

Dockside towards the bottom, an isolated house was walled off by a crystalline barrier. Surprisingly, there was already an ISF airship parked outide. Why are they investigating a week later? Two officers exited the dwelling, followed by a brown-haired man clad in amethyst armor.

"Cedric Grinfield has finally shown up." Argent commented.

"Thanks, seeing the location is enough. We can go now." Rose spoke as calmly as possible.

"I should talk to him while we're here," Argent landed. Damn it!

Leaving her, Argent went to greet the immortal avenger. Time slowed as Rose watched them confer shielded from her hearing. Cedric turned towards her and their eyes meet. Keeping his gaze locked, he spoke again. If Argent isn't on my side, I'm screwed. A few seconds later, the conversation moved on, and Rose breathed again.

I must alert the others. Rose discretely activated her wrystal and composed a message, her thoughts forming into words.

'Cedric Grinfield is on the Isle. If I'm not back at the Rose Palace in ten minutes, assume I'm dead.'

It's overdramatic, but it's how I feel. Sending the warning, she lamented her luck. What were the odds? The answer hit her a second later. Emerit would've said this outcome likely. Had she not been paying attention? This spot was the first place the doppelganger hater would visit. I should've avoided it like the plague.

Rose agonized while Argent and Cedric bantered. Look on the bright side, she rationalized. We discovered his arrival. If she made it out of here, it'd be a win.

Two minutes later, the men parted. Cedric jumped away, rattling the surroundings, and traveled up counterclockwise, passing a dozen layers with each leap. It's over. Argent returned, apologizing for the wait.