[Chapter 36] Free - Debra Sunder

"So no advice?" Free had been dissatisfied with her performance the other day. Her roots had struggled against the werewolves. And I'll likely face them again.

"Sadly, nothing comes to mind." John Lavinda apologized.

Free clicked her tongue. A minor increase in my roots' fire resistance won't be enough. Despite her daily mentoring and rising fame, she had no confidence against a foe that'd overwhelmed her.

I bet necromancy would prove of greater use. Radin had undoubtedly already given Wise a countermeasure. And I should be able to do anything he can. How frustrating...

Catalysts were a dead end as well. Astra had forbidden these magical instruments to ensure a level playing field at Earth's end. Not that we had any, but Hope could've fashioned some. Free doubted the restriction applied here.

As opposed to the Hope's one-time enchantments, catalysts required the injection of magic. They came in two flavors: casters and amplifiers. Casters deployed predetermined spells, such as fireballs. While their speed and simplicity was attractive, it'd been the second type she'd been searching yesterday at the commercial sector. Amplifiers offered a straight up power boost.

Regrettably, I couldn't find one which meshed with my roots. Amplifiers had specific scopes, and their response time lagged unless in tune with their user. These downsides were mitigated in the highest grade catalysts, such as 'Crimson Shaft' Lily had wielded yesterday. I want my own legendary weapon.

"To lighten the mood, why don't we study deceases?" John offered.

"Finally?!" She'd been dying to get her hands on some nasty germs, but everyone at the Guild was too healthy. Damn enhanced immune systems.

"I assume you've mastered your quantum ring?"

"Absolutely." Free fingered the silver band on her right hand.

I pity the fools who research with microscopes. With training, a person's spiritual sense could examine the world around them. At Earth's end, Free had proved adept at this, studying cells and bacteria. However, John had gifted her a small catalyst which had raised her ability to the next level, and she could now observe at magnifications which bested Barsal's electron microscopes. Unearthly materials are particularly fascinating.

John lead them below the medical center, stopping before an ashen door on which he placed a hand. After a moment, it sunk inside, ripples spreading out.

"Close your eyes or it'll sting." John mentioned before plunging through the liquefied doorway.

A disinfecting seal, Free understood. All microscopic organisms will be destroyed. A chill hit her when she stepped through. Slightly below zero. The square room was lines with shelves of glass jars. John invited her to sit at the table in the center.

"I teach at the campus." He explained. "These are samples for those classes. You'll find every major non-magical malady."

So they're teaching aids. The process of treating infections was relatively simple. After identifying the germ with a quantum ring, the correct spell circle eradicated it from the body.

Free touched the crystal pendent around her neck. Another present, it contained the 'cure' to every diseases. The only ailments medicine struggled with were those of magical origin or relating to old age.

Free's wrystal flashed, but she switched it off. I'm not interrupting this. If it was really important, they'd call John. Instead, she scanned the shelves. Some names she recognized, most she didn't. Her gaze came to rest on nine labels with black borders.