[Chapter 42] Simon - The Darklands

I finally found them, Simon sighed. Astra had asked him to bring back Kara, ideally with the children in tow. The guildmaster wanted the Beast of Sanrune on the Isle for the Lantern Festival. For her, preventing a Dark Age is more important than a grudge over a kidnapping.

It hadn't been easy. The Darklands were an endless labyrinth of pitch black. Fortunately, the desolate, unchanging landscape presented the perfect environment for time manipulation. No risk of paradoxes here. Simon had settled into a routine of exploring twelve hours then jumping back a similar amount. The necromancy which cloaked him isolated his presence from his past selves. Even if he traveled the same space, he wouldn't know it.

It'd taken forty three days to find his target. By the end, he'd begun to doubt his chances. Each temporal leap depleted him. At most, he could've continued two weeks.

Kara sat atop a cliff overlooking an enormous cavern. Uncharistically, there was light here. Half a mile away, tomb ivy blanketed the wall, an airship's wreckage drifting in their embrace. Simon peered lower at the crumbling structures. An abandoned smugglers outpost. He shook his head. The undead found them, and the aftermath illuminates this space.

Sounds of snapping bones echoed faintly. Far off below, Silver and Kate were battling weaponless skeletons. Despite tattered clothes and fatigue, they were holding their own. At least they're alive.

Simon approached their tormentor, "It's been a week. How long do you intend to keep them?"

"As long as it takes." Kara replied serenely. "It might have been a whim, but I recognized them as my disciples. They're not allowed to be weak."

Simon observed the undead. Their tenacity is enhanced so far from the sun. "Will they survive this training of yours? They look ragged."

Kara ignored the question, eyes appraising him, "You appeared worn out yourself. Pity, you're worth nothing in that state."

"Locating you took a while." Simon said. But if it saved me a sparing match, I shouldn't complain.

"If there's nothing else, you can leave." Kara had lost interest.

Interacting with her is never simple. Fortunately, he had a hook to lure her, "While you were safely hiding here, the Isle suffered an catastrophe." The feline ears twitched. "Hundreds of werewolves scorched the Undercity."

"They always wait for my absence before starting shit..." Kara growled. "If I'd been there, it probably wouldn't have happened."

"Possibly." Simon replied. "But Kain's arm is on the Isle. You should know this from Gareth. We anticipate a larger calamity, most likely the night of Arther's funeral. The guildmaster requests your presence."

Kara ruminated, "Fine. We'll return in a few days."

Simon hesitated. Almost too easy. Can I trust such an offhand response?

"Don't fret." Kara snickered derisively. "I stumbled on what Astra's preparing. It'd be a pity to miss that, so I'll be back."

"'What she's preparing'?"

"If you don't know, I won't spoil the surprise." Kara mocked. "Now go away."

Simon withdrew. That went as well as could be hoped. He glanced back. Sorry, I can't take you with me, he apologized. Even if well-rested, retrieving them by force wouldn't have been option. They needed Kara on their side.

On the return journey, Simon mulled recent developments. With the Cultivating Realm's support, Lily's position had been stabilized. On the other hand, Sarah Godspeed's days were numbered. Exactly six, to be precise. Since the Isle had begun preparations for the festival, it'd be chaotic and costly to remove her immediately. Once it's over, she's finished.

Evicting Sion Gale from the pillar would be a trickier issue. It could trigger war. Lily would first deal with Sarah before contemplating this.

As for Samuel Lithorn, his campaign wasn't unsalvageable. If he could flip the Demon World, he might yet scrape a majority at the World Council. He'll be playing that card soon. The existence of doppelgangers would cause an up-roar.

Simon doubted it'd be enough on its own. Which means he's planning something else as well. While anything before the festival was improbable, nothing was certain with the Laughing Man involved.

To make matters worse, a Maelstorm had formed over the Blue Abyss and was forecast to arrive on the eve of the festival. It'll hit after midnight. The HEAVENLY DAO wouldn't allow anything to mar Arther's funeral.

The funeral... That'll be a painful, if magnificent affair. The greatest gathering of immortals in centuries. He dreaded the sorrow and guilt it'd inflict.

I should focus on what will happen after. Once the mega storm hit, warping and communication would be disrupted. For twenty hours or so, the Isle would be cut off. The perfect time for mayhem... Which means thousands more will fall to Kain's curse.

Hope will need to open the Pillar of Enera. That's the only way this ends. Even if Sarah, Sion, and the Laughing Man were chased away, the Norther Emperor would relentlessly plot and scheme until what he feared was exposed. I can't protect her forever. When she eventually realizes this, I'll be there to guide her.

Simon skipped though the rocky underground, resolute in seeing the coming turbulence through to its conclusion.