[Chapter 8 part 2] Dawn - Spectating Duels

...

Light reached out, converging the sandstorm into a giant boulder below him. He kicked off, sending it crashing downward. Free evaded, but her plants were crushed. Light completed more hand signals, and the sand rose in a wave to chase after her. She braced herself as it crashed and buried her waist deep. She's in trouble.

Before Light could follow up, Free raised a hand, and a few surviving roots shoot upwards. Light was caught midair, but once again turned to sand. He emerged on the right, rushing forward to end the fight.

Free covered her eyes and snapped her fingers. Around the arena, every purple flower released a blinding light. I told you... When Dawn's vision recovered, she found Light tangled in vines. He must've retreated into a trap. Free threw her staff, which morphed into a mass of roots. Colliding, they wrapped him from head to toe.

Free leisurely dug herself out as her brother struggled. She then walked over smiling, arms behind her back. "I concede." Light declared reluctantly.

The plants withered away. I wonder what the red fruits were. Some manner of bomb probably. You can't trust anything she makes.

Dawn went to congratulated them, "Nice performance..." ——considering you aren't me.

"Thanks," Free turned to Simon. "So?" I should listen. Although it was hard to care, it was only polite.

"Although I've seen others specialized in plants, I didn't recognize a single one..."

While yawning, Dawn had a thought. This must be good for their self-esteem. To the extent they had confidence issues, she was partly to blame. How can they avoid feeling unworthy in my presence?

Dawn smirked. Reminds me of the time I got carried away. She'd suggested facing all of them together. To give them a fighting chance. It'd been half in jest, but they'd taken her up on it. Of course I won, but it was closer than they realize. Her endurance wasn't endless. Strangely, they always refused her offers for a rematch, which she felt conflicted about. While I crave the thrill again, losing would be awful.

Simon was discussing ninja stuff. Light will be happy. Dawn tuned out and revisited one of her lingering disappointments: it wasn't possible to master everything. There simply isn't time. She'd been compelled to discard useless skills like cooking. Perhaps I'll indulge them once I'm on the wall... Soul and Rose had entered the arena. Let's focus.

"Sorry, but I won't be holding back." Soul declared, frozen armor covering every inch of him. Harder than steel, yet flexible and light. Like her own, it was beautiful. Soul summoned a sword as tall as himself. That laughable blade... They'd been bewildered when Astra had recommended it. Yet, defying logic, wielding it had come naturally, and the over-sized weapon had ceased being funny. It suits him too well.

"Sounds ominous." Rose responded, flames crawling up her arms. "The odds are against me, but I'm also going for the win." She never wore sleeves as even Hope's fireproof clothing didn't last. Her upper back was uncovered for the same reason.

"Are you ready?" Free shouted. "Here we go!" She's also basking in victory.

Flames erupted from Rose as she circled around, hurling explosive pyrotechnics. Contrary to what she'd read in some books, these 'fireballs' were neither slow nor easily dodged. She doesn't 'throw' them, she 'launches' them at meteoric speeds. Fire magic made excellent propellant. Her goal is to distract and disorient. To break Soul's armor, only the strongest close-range strike would do, yet it was dangerous to approach unless he was off-balance.