[Chapter 2 part 1] Astra - Restless Introductions

Anger swept Astra's mind. They didn't... Her eyes darted up.

"I'm sensitive to the presence of life, especially in this place." Simon explained. Astra absorbed the words in resignation. Lying was impossible for necromancers. It's why they're used as messengers.

She cursed internally. The Dark Age had taught her to hate the unexpected. I should've frozen them underground. She'd guessed they might sneak a peek, but who could've predicted their visitor would be so discerning? Calm down. She'd meant to deal with this here, but that plan was shot.

"Let's head inside." She said tersely. Dammit, Lily, it'd better be important or I'll wring your little neck. With a wave, the doors swung open. Before moving, she looked back, "Do you hold any ill-intentions?"

"None. As an aside, I've deduced their origins. You needn't worry, I'll not harm them." Simon answered. So he's puzzled it out... I guess she wouldn't send an incompetent.

Astra strode in, glancing upwards at the skyways and staircases connecting the twenty storied space. No point in hiding them. She raised a hand, forming a white vortex, and a host of small figures emerged, wings fluttering.

"Please gather everyone," She asked. The fairies circled once and dispersed, flying up and disappearing down dark corridors. Keeping the fortress lit is too much of a hassle. Only alcoves in the entry hall burned bright with frost fire.

This won't be pleasant... She frowned, imagining Simon meeting her children. If my aim is to convince him they're well-adjusted...

Astra believed in facing hard truths. Her parenting skills were suboptimal. Not that I'm in a position to judge, but... Even her vague concept of 'normality' told her there were issues. It was unavoidable. She was the last person for the job.

She remembered finding them fifteen years ago. The first day had been spent in panic before eight screaming infants. Thank god Nero arrived with supplies. Once they'd finally quieted, she'd grappled with how to proceed. Abandoning them at an orphanage wouldn't have worked since their appearance and abilities would be too recognizable. Other options were invalid for similar reasons. Begrudgingly, she'd determined it safest to keep them at Earth's End. Which is a terrible environment for children...

Four young men and four young women appeared on the top floor. As they descended disjointed stairways, ice sprites coalesced around, meandering like fireflies. Do they believe I'll calm myself if they take their time? Despite her irritation, her rage subsided gradually. They've a right to be upset too.

Her expertise was leading armies. During the latter half of the Dark Age, the death rate had been staggeringly high. It was we seven who maintained moral. She and her brother, Ethan Skyfell, had lead by example, challenging Sola's champions on the front lines. Arther Bard and Barsal Farran had inspired with their boundless charisma. Jenna Crystal had acted the pop idol, using too much sex appeal at times. Lily Morgana had shamed adults into fighting with her mere presence. Nero Ebonwood had provided confidence with his unfailing divinations.

It's an atrocious basis for rearing children. Astra knew about suppressing physiological trauma, not overcoming it. When survival is a dim prospect, what concern is the long term? Her only experience interacting with the young was the time she'd found Lily catatonic after her home country's destruction. Under her guidance, the girl had refocused grief into anger, transforming the battlefield into a hellscape with long range bombardments. I turned her into an instrument of war.