[Chapter 21 part 1] Wise - Assassins

Hope's in a good mood. Agata Nimrod seemed amiable, and she'd had the skills to ascended to the Wall of Saints in less than a century. Wise's own enthusiasm was muted. It's funny. I'm getting what I always wanted, yet I'm not looking forward to it...

Radin had been born in Hilsen, a country which no longer existed, during an economic collapse. Growing up in crushing poverty, he'd gladly escaped to the Black Citadel. Two hundreds years later, he'd become High Auditor, the symbol of Xarst's power in fiscal matters. Unkillable and incorruptible, they had permission to end lives in pursuit of their duties. Radin had exercised the right aggressively, and, by the end of his tenure, he'd been more feared than the Mask of Xarst.

On his last assignment, he'd been sent to sort out the Adventurer's Guild's books, which were a notorious mess. He'd been so disgusted by what he'd found that, after purging those responsible, he'd joined the Guild to ensure it'd never happen again. The world had breathed a sigh of relief.

His grim past shows. While thriftiness was admirable, Radin's use of terror was more suspect. Many claimed the Guild's most sensitive interrogations were left to him. Wise frowned. Rumors. His ability was picking up whispers in dark corners, and he didn't know what to make of it.

They passed the Black Bank heading south. The building on the right is... the library. Past that is... the TrainingCenter, our destination.

Kate was continuing her tour, but he wasn't listening. Sorry. Wise was gaging his bronze headband. What areas do I not know about? West was a recreation area with a concert hall, gaming center, and several popular bars. Underground was a waterpark for leisure and aquatic combat. Further south was the campus. To its east was the MedicalCenter and Church of Idia. North of this was security and Sars.

What's 'Sars'? He was the tyrant who kept the peace at headquarters. So he's not human... Tyrants were the other sapient lifeform indigenous to Enera. They resided in Haven, deep in the Green Hell. Those who survived the journey outside all possessed the strength of immortals. So Miki will be introducing us to one tomorrow... I can't wait.

Wise read the names on a nearby sign: gym, isolation rooms, firing range, simulation arenas... Isolation rooms are for cultivation, but what's a simulation arena? They were coliseums with built-in summoning systems. Adventurers used them to prepare for high end dungeons.

So far so good. After yesterday, he'd decided he'd stay with the others regardless. Passing out is better than regretting.

Wise focused on the man they'd soon meet. Who is he? Legonas Ironheart was the head of the Search and Rescue. He notably reached the rank of Saint primarily through saving lives. That's weird. While renown could be earned through recovery missions, such opportunities were limited. To build your legend that way... He must've taken assignments no one would touch.

What's his story? After joining the Guild three hundred years ago, Legonas quickly gained a reputation as a rescuer of last resort. Disappearances in dungeons and frontier areas were normally written off as lost causes, yet he'd volunteered, over and over. Although this behavior was dismissed as suicidal, the man had always came back, often with those he went to fetch. Arther Bard had taken notice, inviting him to formally oversee operations. The fervor with which he'd embraced his new duties gave rise to persistent criticism by those concerned for his safety.

Why so selfless? ... Nothing. Unbelievable... Apparently no one at Headquarters knew or was willing to answer. Frustrated, he tried again. What drives him? 'To balance the scales'. ... That's probably all I'm getting.