[Chapter 40 part 3] Light - Shine Balladeer

...

When Light came to, his first thought was 'what a magnificent defeat'. He'd battled to his fullest and had no regrets. I was right: ninjas are cool. He gripped Mockery fondly and rose to his feet. The short sword was amazing. If only I'd had time to properly master it... The din around him was deafening, the crowd wilder than he'd ever seen. Evening fights are special.

"WATER TRIUMPHS OVER SAND! WHAT A MATCH! SO MANY CLONES! LIGHT DISPLAYED SKILLS WE NEVER KNEW HE HAD. THE VICTOR WAS UNCLEAR UNTIL THE VERY END!"

Waving to the stand, Kaito and Light exited stage, sounds of adulation echoing behind. In the post-fight waiting room, Kaito spoke first, "Those were some astounding clones. So realistic. Honestly, I'm jealous."

"You too." Light answered. "That last attack was so vicious and overwhelming I lost consciousness before I could use a substitution."

"So you really can use it..." Kaito laughed. "Halfway through, I began treating you as someone from Harakoune. I subconsciously assumed you possessed the skill, so I let loose a technique designed to counter it."

This bit caught Light's attention, "What do you mean?"

Kaito looked at him curiously, "A key part of a substitution is the flourish. That's to say, the collapsing after-shadow left behind. If this is obscured, then teleporting away is impossible. Avalanche-type skills, which engulf the body, are a solid counter."

I wasn't aware of that... He was fascinating. It's the knowledge I've always craved.

"Is your ninjutsu self-taught?" Kaito asked. When Light nodded, he offered praise. "Then you've done an outstanding job. Your abilities rival a native..."

Suppressing exhilaration, Light voiced a pressing concern, "That was spell circle at the end. I didn't know ninjas used such techniques..."

Kaito smiled under his mask, "A real ninja will use every tool at his disposal. You should know this."

Light was aghast as his flawed understanding was exposed. If spell circles had existed in that fictional world, then of course ninjas would've used them. I must broaden my thinking.

"I hope you'll put more effort into remembering the magecraft I taught you." Emelia teased coyly from behind. Oh, I will. He'd also look into Hope's firearms and explosives. Never again will I ignore something because it doesn't exist in the novels.

"Say, can you join me in the skybox for a bit?" Emelia asked. Not now... His mind raced for a way to refuse. However, before he could speak, Emelia dropped a bombshell. "Kaito has already agreed to meet you tomorrow morning. You can discuss leisurely then, so follow please."

Kaito nodded, "I was curious about you too. Now I must rejoin my teammates. You should go with Vanes——." The ninja tensed briefly. "——with Emelia." He knows who she is!

Trailing Emelia, Light pondered. She must have spoken with him before, but when did she manage that? She'd been with him all day. Was it while I met Agata? Besides, how does she know him? He noticed something else off, "This is the wrong way..."

"That's because——" Emelia pressed an elevator button. "——we're going to a different skybox."

"Are you planning on explaining anytime soon?" Light asked as they rose.

"Eventually." Emelia smiled. "Let's get comfortable."

The space was similar to Lily's except there were pictures of Barsal immortals on the walls. Emelia plopped herself on a front row seat and invited him to join.