[Chapter 28 part 2] Soul - The Field of Graves

...

Probably not. Soul sighed, "Why don't you stay with Patrick?" His sister didn't have the heart to object.

Crossing the cavern was far easier than the Helix. We don't need to jump.

"Was it alright not to bring her?" Kate asked once out of earshot.

"Soul's decision was correct." Rose glanced back. "It's almost noon. This cavern will be brightest then. If things go wrong, it'll be possible to retreat. "

"Makes sense," Kate said. "But that doesn't help us complete our quest."

"It's too risky to wait." Soul explained. "If it gets dark enough for them to follow us... We can't fight on this. They wouldn't hesitate to jump off dragging us with them."

"This brings up the next and more important point" Kate continued. "What do you know of the undead? How do you fight them? I'm the only who has no idea what I'm getting into." Her voice vibrated with anxiety.

"Astra brought undead to Earth's End. She unfroze them one by one and had us fight until satisfied. It's likely why she selected this mission. As for dealing with them..." Soul turned to his sister. "Care to step in?"

"Sure." Rose sighed. "First, you'll need to prepare for their presence. They're unliving embodiments of enmity, radiating loathing. This can be overwhelming."

"Next, they're cunning. The stronger an undead, the smarter it becomes. Don't be confused by their wild hostility. Their true nature is on the cold calculating side of hatred. They'll try to maneuver you into an unfavorable position, so never lose track of your surrounding. There's nothing like trying to dodge and realizing your back is to the wall."

I remember Rose's first fight with one. Intimidated, she'd fought at a distance, underestimating her opponent. It'd been a gruesome death.

"Finally, be wary of their adaptability and unpredictability. Undead are the opposite of newborns, who enter the world knowing nothing. They come into existence potentially knowing everything. They're formed from the abyss, which contains humanity's cumulative battle experience. Martial arts, weapon techniques, strategies, tactics... Each undead comes with their own mix. Worse still, some part remains connected even after they arrive. In battle, they'll 'remember' what they need to win. Never get overconfident. Right, Free?"

"Yes," Free agreed ruefully. "I've learned the hard way that if you play around with them, they end up playing around with you."

"With no pain or fear, nothing holds them back." Soul added. "They'll gladly sacrifice themselves if they judge it effective. Focus on 'disabling' blows before 'fatal' ones."

"Speaking of killing, what's the best way?" Kate asked.

"I was getting to that." Rose said. "They can't be felled outright, but they can be exhausted if destroyed repeatedly. It's more effective if magic is used."

"So similar to the strategy for necromancers?" Kate interpreted.

"I guess so?" Rose said tentatively.

"We're almost there." Soul interrupted. They walked onto the upside down island cautiously. "Where are they?"

"Half a mile away, gathered around a tent at the center."

Everyone relaxed a little. It's beautiful. The landscape was overrun by Tomb Ivy. Out of every weapon, weightless vines drifted upwards into the void. Under their multicolored glow, visibility wouldn't be an issue. The wind has dissipated too.