[Chapter 17 part 3] Light - The Wall of Legends

...

"Airships aren't permitted to fly above the Isle's surface." Lily boasted. "This craft is an exception."

"What a horrid method of transportation." Dawn mumbled.

Pitying his sister, Light then considered their makeshift plan to hide their identities. Before it'd been an opportunity to indulge his favorite fiction, but now it was a chance at redemption. He'd teach his siblings to impersonate ninjas flawlessly. It's the least I can do.

Soul patted him on the back, "We're about to visit Enera's most famous attraction. There'll be time for self-recrimination later." He's right, and I'm sure he's condemning himself too.

"What's this visit for anyway anyways?" Dawn asked.

"To meet Siegfried." Lily answered.

Siegfried? THE Siegfried? After reaching the peak of all immortals, the man had been invited to become the HEAVENLY DAO's champion. Whenever the deity wanted its voice heard, it sent Siegfried. Meeting him is near the top of my 'coolest things ever'.

"We're almost there. By the way, see those two ponds?" Lily said. "Bear them in mind."

The entrance was a forty feet wide pathway covered by an equally tall rectangular arch. The crowd looked up in surprise as Lily piloted through.

"Welcome to the Wall of Legends!" Lily proclaimed, slowing their pace. Pathways and suspended stones stretched out across a blue sky. This really is a separate space. Turning back, the Isle of Dreams appeared a transparent mirage rising from a distant sea of clouds. "You're no longer on Enera."

Wait, where's the light coming from? He looked up to see the sun. Is that real? What happens when it sets?

"It follows the same day and night cycles as outside, minus the weather." Kate said. "The Shrines of the Lost is the same."

The pathway ended in a wide square plaza. It's fortunate there's no wind since there's no railing of any kind. The crowd was staying far from the edge, with only a few intrepid visitors cautiously peering over. One suddently leapt off and plummeted into the endless fog below. What!?

"Someone fell!" Silver shouted. He'd barely finished when a couple holding hands followed. A double suicide?

"Oh no." Dawn gasped.

"Everyone calm down." Lily smiled. "No one can die here. It's normal to see jumpers."

"What happens to them?" Hope asked.

"Remember the ponds? That's why there were people splashing in one of them." Lily gestured behind. "They get dropped there. It's cold, muddy, slimy, and disgusting, but otherwise harmless. For some people, this is an unmissable thrill."

"Another one is about to jump." Silver chimed in.

"They're utterly mad." Dawn said. It's not for everyone. He'd have to come back later.

"Have you done it, Lily?" Hope asked.

"Yes, long ago." Noting Dawn's incredulous stare, she shrugged, "I was the regent of the Isle and fifteen. It was practically a requirement."

Recalling something, she added hurriedly, "On a side, but critical note, if you feel the urge, only do so once. The HEAVENLY DAO tolerates a single dive, but afterwards there are consequences."

"Consequences?" Light asked. It felt tragic to limit himself.

"You get dropped in the other pond, the empty one. It has the foulest stench. An odor from hell which lasts for days. The Rose Palace has a standing order to bar anyone with that scent. Jump twice, and you're on your own."