[Chapter 23 part 2] Free - Idia and Torak

...

Miki listened calmly, "Firstly, Kate, you needn't be so wary. Virtually all of those she's killed were over twenty. She's pretty lenient when it comes to 'children'. That being the case, Light's idea wasn't bad."

"I didn't know..." Kate mumbled.

"Of course not. We want young adventurers scared of her. Otherwise, some would act fearlessly, and Kara will turn on anyone if pushed far enough."

Miki faced Light, "As for you..." A lightning sprite swooped down and zapped him. Tensing, her brother dropped to his knees.

"Kate knows the Isle better than all of you." Miki stated calmly. "Rely on her."

"Are you ok?" Soul asked.

"I'm fine." Light assured them. "I was more surprised than hurt."

Not sure it'll do any good. Light was hotheaded concerning certain things. Teaching him right or wrong wouldn't help since his personality was the core issue. In any case, the shock was deserved, so there's no foul.

"On to business, I must prepare you." Miki said. "Your knowledge of tyrants is undoubtedly lacking. I bet you've no idea why I came here. Let's begin with that."

"The outlook of Tyrants is warped by their native environment, especially how they value life. The death rate for their young is high, with less than ten percent surviving. Due to this, they don't form deep bonds with 'youngsters', including their own off-springs."

"This attitude is even worse towards us. Mature tyrants are naturally immortal. Nothing in the Green Hell dies of old age. Because of this, they view immortality as 'adulthood'. From their perspective, our odds of growing up are astronomically low, and they give little weight to those who aren't at least saints. If you met Sars without me, he might not even register your presence."

"Next, about how he talks... There's a misconception that Tyrants are lazy and slow-witted. That's incorrect. The truth is they're sluggish around those they don't respect, not bothering with complete sentences. Sars does this with me, which is pain. Still, he's better than most. Some don't respond to saints."

"Another warning." Miki continued. "Tyrants don't move their mouths when they speak. This weirds many out. They also don't have unique voices like we do. Instead, they possess incredibly advanced vocal cords that can mimic any sound they hear. This includes all human voices, male or female, young or old."

"Speaking with a inexperienced tyrant is one of the most disturbing experiences you'll ever have. They'll switch voices mid conversation or even mid sentence. It doesn't help that they tend to copy those around them, sometimes blending them or sounding like several at once..." Miki shook her head in recollection. "This won't come up with Sars. He's settled on one voice."

"That's about everything... By the way, Sars is just as dangerous as Kara. The only reason he has a lower kill count is people instinctively recognize him as dangerous. Anyone who provokes a four hundred pound reptile is seeking death."

Everything from the Green Hell is lethal. Governments undoubtedly considered 'antagonizing a tyrant' to be suicide too.

"Now let's introduce you so I can get back to work." Miki started off.

"I wish I could see Haven..." Free whispered. She'd researched the tyrant homeland yesterday. It sounded like a magical place.

"Then you're in luck." Miki glanced back. "The next Hundred Year Moon is in four years."

"'Hundred Year Moon'?" Free scoured her memory.

Miki smirked, "Once every 100 years during the full moon, the Blood Locust rise. They swarm the eastern third of the Green Hell, devouring everything except the trees. Other predators flee or end up being consumed. During those ten days, the only dangerous creatures are the locusts themselves, and tyrants discovered an incense which repels them. It's the one period where it's safe to travel to Haven."