[Chapter 14 part 1] Astra - Nero Ebonwood

Astra rubbed her head staring at the projector's blackness. Contrary to popular belief, immortals didn't remember everything automatically. About a year out was when memories became everlasting. Anything less could be forgotten. Just as well, mundane details aren't worth recalling. Regretfully, that left her memorizing like a mortal.

She'd spent the afternoon catching up on centuries of neglected history. Topics which once held no interest had become critical. She'd studied the politics of the 'Demon World' below the Blue Abyss and the 'Cultivating Realm' to its East. Not sure how much will stick, but I tried. Researching the Laughing Man had also been a point of interest. He's a monster. Astra was enraged. How hard can it be to kill one man?

An other big development was the rise of the Grey King. That madman indirectly caused this too. Below the Sarada's ocean of sand was Middle Earth. This frontier region, cut off from the outside, had been a splintered group of smallish kingdoms. Then the Laughing Man began his social-engineering experiment. After dozens of assassinations, the ensuing chaos had reduced the place to a no-man's land. Keep slaughtering the decent folk, and any country will fall to ruin. When the Laughing Man had been forced into hiding ——his so-called hundred year 'quiet period'—— the Grey King had built an empire from the ashes.

This enigmatic ruler refused envoys, so no one knew his face. What was no secret was his competence, ruthlessness, and ambition. A genius strategist and tactician who swallows territory after territory. Word from the conquered was life was fair, but bleak and brutal. Everyone was a cog for furthering the 'mother land'. The Grey King was building a war machine, with no intent of stopping.

Soon he'll have consolidated Middle Earth. That accomplished, he'd turn to the rest of Enera. It's a world war waiting to happen. At least the Adventurer's Guild remained neutral in such conflicts. Though aiding those fleeing will be our task...

She had enough on her plate already. The backlog is worst than anticipated. In the weeks preceding his demise, Arther had put matters on hold to investigate. Had he not died, it would've been fine. Stop, I'll not blame him. In any case, a deluge of work awaited her.

The most pressing are those eruptions. Searing ash was nearing areas packed with refugees. I'll tackle this first thing tomorrow. Not only was it urgent, she was also perfectly suited to solve the catastrophe. Suspiciously so. While the volcanic activity had been on-going for months, it'd drastically intensified in the last few days. That was you, right, HEAVENLY DAO? Manufacturing an emergency so I can show off... Is that your way of celebrating my return?

Astra sighed. I shouldn't complain about something which benefits me so much. She needed the political capita. Hopefully no one perishes before I arrive.

In addition to serving adventurers, Guild Headquarters played several roles which would be her prerogative. Firstly, she'd answer aid requests when regional leadership was overwhelmed. Like this exploding crust situation. Next, she'd take the lead in menaces emanating from the huge swaths of Enera falling outside settled territories. From the news, I'll be focused on piracy. Finally, she'd spearhead the response to cataclysmic events such as the White Dragon. In this world, massive threats materialize out of nowhere.

Thankfully she wouldn't be tackling this alone. Since immortals were valuable military assets, competition to recruit them was fierce. Those who didn't care to be tied down made the Isle of Dreams their home. In exchange for independence, they'd assist with the occasional global crisis. Arther mentioned managing them was challenging.