[Chapter 32 part 2] Light - Vanessa Goldstone

...

Reaching the Rose Palace, Light leapt to the rooftops. Less chance of meeting Sarah and the phoenixes don't seem to mind. He dropped onto the South Wing terrace and went inside. The room where they'd first met was what Lily considered her conference room. He found the small immortal perusing an enlarged news article.

"That's Vanessa Goldstone." Lily pointed to a picture in the text. A beautiful, black skinned girl of around twenty was making a victory sign. Below, the caption read 'Vanessa solos Angrim Dungeon'.

"That's impressive, but what's the emergency?" Light asked.

Frowning, Lily shut off the projector, "Vanessa is the emergency. She'll be warping here in fifteen minutes."

Light stayed silent, waiting for something that made sense. Lily sighed, "Remember how the Barsal Empire was sending someone to train you?"

"Yes," Light had a sinking feeling. Don't tell me...

"That's who they're sending." Lily confirmed.

"She clearly seems competent." Light said carefully. "But isn't she a little young?"

"Not only young, she's a celebrity. A genius martial artists from one of Barsal's most prominent families. While she no doubt has the skill required... This isn't an accident. You know how your original is worshiped over there..."

"You're not saying——"

"That she heard there was a clone of Barsal Farran, close to her age, and insisted on coming? Yes, that's definitively what happened." Lily assured him. Damn it!

"Anyway, she'll be your responsibility and what you do with her is your business. Just remember she's basically a princess. Keep her happy and don't offend her. Now let's greet her in the courtyard."

Light followed, his mind in turmoil. While flattered, he already had a crush. I also don't like that it's because I'm someone's double. On the other hand, Vanessa wasn't his sister, so perhaps this offered an opportunity. But even then, dating a princess would be troublesome in its own right.

"Wait," Light stopped. "Isn't Vanessa's fame a problem? What if people recognize her?"

Lily looked back, "Yes, it'd be hard to explain, so Vanessa was required to disguise herself. The Isle is getting another ninja."

Light couldn't get excited over this. I hope she doesn't ruin tonight. When the others had visited, they'd made clear that tracking the assassins would be a joint venture. Rose had a plan in which he'd play a central role, and they were determine to act as soon as he recovered. They're worried I might go off on my own again.

It's a needless concern. Experiencing the final moments of that nameless assassin had calmed him. While those after Hope had to be stopped, he'd deal with them rationally.

As they passed flaming walls, a warping sphere dropped down, revealing a female ninja in a golden outfit toting a large pack. She had a light tan and blond hair. At least it won't be easy to recognized her.

"She's early." Lily mumbled with irritation.

The golden Kunoichi saw them and waved, "Hi Lily, what'd you think of my getup?"

"It's a great, Vanessa." Lily answered in monotone. "Could you come this way?" With a leap, the newcomer joined them. "Please place a drop of blood in the brazier." Vanessa summoned a knife and did as instructed.

"Perfect." Lily nodded. "Vanessa Goldstone, meet Light Skyfell. I'll leave you two to get acquainted. Fayla will show you to your room when you're ready." She then departed.