[Chapter 4 part 2] Simon - Conversing with Astra

Five minutes later, Astra spoke, "How old are you?"

"Four hundred and eighty nine." He answered.

"When were you written on the wall?"

"Three centuries ago." Simon said. What's this about? Necromancers conquered death when they graduated from Xarst. The Wall of Legends held no special import.

"By the way, has the Norther Emperor achieved immortality?"

"No, he hasn't." For twenty seven hundred years, Samuel Lithorn had ruled Enera's largest empire. He's butted heads with Astra many times.

Astra grinned, "That's impressive. He should've met the requirements long ago. It makes you wonder what unforgivable sin he committed to earn the HEAVENLY DAO's ire."

Lithorn stood as the only known case of denied immortality. Instead, his aging had continued to slow. The consensus was a grudge was to blame. One day this grievance will be exposed.

"Everyone wishes to be on the Wall at some point." Astra turned back to the sky, smile slipping away. "Like my children, they're engrossed by the power and agelessness. Few are aware of the demerits. For one, memories are frozen forever. Nothing can be forgotten. Resentment becomes eternal and love everlasting."

I'm not sure it's a downside. Enhanced recollection was practically a required secondary power to lengthened lifespan. What's the use of centuries of experience if it fades away? Necromancers solved the problem by etching their consciousness onto their souls. He'd undergone the process himself upon graduating. Regrettably, it didn't help recover what I'd already lost.

"I suppose the HEAVENLY DAO considers this a necessity. If we could forget, we could easily change. The god doesn't want its chosen champions becoming different people every few hundred years. With lasting memories, we can never forget who we are or what we've done."

Astra sighed, "Old memories haunt me. They feel as real as back then. The fatigue lasts to this day."

Harrowing experiences... They could be a strength. For Simon, they drove him forward. Conversely, what about when the battle was over? When the motivation was no longer required? They become a source of anguish without purpose.

"After the Fracturing, I came to protect Sola's Legacy. I figured a quiet place was what I needed. It was mistake. For mortals, retreating from the world might mend past trauma, but isolation offers no solace for immortals. Once I realized this, it was already too late."

A period of chaos followed the Dark Age as humanity adjusted to their new circumstances. No one could spare the resources, yet Sola's legacy had to be guarded. Astra had volunteered.

The assignment was meant to be temporary, yet, when the dust had settled, the politics had turned messy. A majority of Enera, lead by the Northern Emperor, favored preservation. However, there was no consensus over dividing the spoils. Some even preferred leaving them buried. Meanwhile, a minority, including the heroes, demanded immediate destruction. Sola's Legacy proved too valuable to erase and too dangerous to unlock.

The stalemate left Astra stranded. She can't afford to walk away. Major nations were terrified the Legacy would alter the balance of power. The children are proof these aren't idle concerns. Barring premature demise, they were guarantied to become immortals. If a nation gained the ability to produce such prodigies at will, no one would be able to compete. This knowledge couldn't be allowed to fall into hostile hands. If Earth's End was left undefended, a mad scramble would ensue, rapidly escalating into a global conflict.