20.

Sad eyes.

Trembling lips.

Solemn friends around her.

The men who walked by the little group of ladies in the lounge couldn't help but act upon their protective instinct. A few respectfully share their concern for the blonde and left with furious expressions on their faces. The present guy to approach the group was Crein Alsworth, a finance major, a senior, and ranked number one on the ladies 'hottie list.' He had his eye on the Macallis heiress before she entered the same college as him and has been slowly making progress to have her under his thumb.

"Sherida?!" 

The girl in question looked up and her eyes wavered between surprise and then embarrassment. "Crein. Hi." Her voice was soft and along with her hugging the cushion tighter to her chest, her vulnerable look amplified. The girls around her gave her quiet words of support, showing Crein that something big had happened to her. 

"What's wrong? Did something happen to Mr. Macallis? Your mother? I've never seen you this way," he asked. He continued to stand upon ceremony, following his strict etiquette training on respecting a female's personal space.

"N-No. My parents are fine. It's just a love trial. We go through it at least once in our life. Please. Sit." Her ashen blonde hair swayed gently as she repositioned herself to welcome him beside her.

"Pardon the intrusion." His words were respectful towards the ladies which placed him high in their eyes. "Is there anything I can help with?"

Sherida shook her head in denial and pinched her fingers restlessly. 

"Is it so bad that even an old friend can't help?" he pressed.

She laughed bitterly and gave him a smile. "Can you help me erase the memories and feelings of someone I loved only to be betrayed by them?"

Crein's lips twitched when she mentioned the word love. He kept track of the men who approached her but never had he heard of her being in a relationship. "Well... wow. I don't think I can. Honestly, I didn't know you were in a relationship."

"Not one of the normal circumstances. Ummmm... girls can you give us a moment?" she asked of her friends. Two of the four who accompanied her were from the same circles as Sherida and Crein. Those two also know of the Macallis heiress's true nature. Seeing her go so far as to entertain Crein, the guy she dubbed as unworthy to be her husband, they inwardly felt pity towards the no-name guy, Jaejin. 

Crein waited till the last person was out of earshot before speaking to Sherida. "What is it?" He wanted to prove himself to her that he was the perfect partner. In his opinion, she didn't need a low-class rat to be by her side nor look at her thinking they were worthy of her. Who was this cretin who dared to play with her feelings?

"I-I think I was foolish in thinking that I would be the perfect bride for him, after all, our fathers gave their approval of our union."

"Excuse me? You're engaged?" he asked. Incredulity stained his voice and anger flared in his eyes. Sherida had a feeling of accomplishment upon seeing this. His reaction was what she was waiting for. 

"It's normal in our circles, you know this Crein."

"But for this guy to play with your feelings.... he should know the consequences of doing so. Isn't he aware of bringing shame to his family's name? Your father can ruin his family."

Sherida gave him a defeated smile. "What he did... I should say what he confessed already ruined his family. If word gets out about our engagement, our family will face the same," she said in a worried tone.