16.

"I'm Gay."

That was easy, Jaejin thought to himself. He knew he was different from other guys when he attended school, and his father's violent reaction to a comment he made when he spoke with his mother confirmed that. He was attracted to men. When he moved to Pasadena, he learned to get rid of that darkness that hung over his head whenever he thought about his sexuality. Things got clearer with time, and Eros's little play on words and his display of affection gave him the confidence to own his sexuality. 

Saying it out loud. 

This was a first. It all came out naturally. Adam figured it out and asked in a low-key manner. His best friend accepted him. Here's another test of human nature. Veron hasn't moved an inch since he said those words. She didn't move her pointed stare from him, but her emotions were evident on her face. 
Jaejin smiled at her. In less than twenty seconds, the last piece of their friendship crumbled. Confusion moved to disbelief. 

Disbelief turned into shock.

Shock morphed into disgust.

It was all on her face like a picture show. 

"Are you going that far to reject Sherida?" she said, trying to keep a calm facade.

"Sherida isn't someone of high importance that I will make an excuse and implicate myself. I am gay, and I'm already interested in someone. Your friend isn't needed," Jaejin stated.

"You know you're going against the law of nature, right? How can you lower yourself to that disgusting level? What would people think? You deciding to be a fucking fag out of the blue is great timing, huh." Her questions came at him like darts to a board. They stung because her tone and expression showed how far she was against homosexuality. This was new to him but expected.

"Is that so? I guess this is the end of our friendship and this visit. Thanks for coming, Veron."

Isla was already positioned at the door, waiting for his words. She opened the door and silently eyed Veron. 
"I think its best to do so," she muttered. Grabbing her bag from the floor, she left as fast as she arrived. 
Isla closed the door and quietly made her way back to Jaejin. Nothing was said. She knew this was a big moment for him. He officially came out to the world and was met with discrimination and the ending of a friendship. Sitting on Veron's vacated seat, she kept a watchful eye on him. 

"From the weight of your stare, you think I said it too soon, huh?" he said aloud.

"Not entirely, young master."

"How so?" He was genuinely curious about her thoughts on what had happened moments ago.

"Well, I'm proud that you are now confident in yourself. I'm just wary of the person you revealed it to. From her show of undying loyalty to Sherida, there's a ninety-five percent chance she will reveal it to her. This may start a large ripple effect." Isla was being honest, and Jaejin welcomed that.

"That has crossed my mind, but do you know why I was able to be confident today? Why does it take little time to let go of my hang-ups?"

"No, young master."

Jaejin smiled at her and gently touched his earrings. "I have a support system now. When I was given a chance to go to college, I decided to keep my head down, get good grades and develop a way to escape my father's grasp. I found an unlikely friendship with Adam, but my trust levels were low. The incident showed me that I made the right choice in keeping him as my friend. I can't believe it took that  fucked up situation to strengthen my friendship with him." A humorless laugh left his still smiling lips. 
Running his hands through his hair, he adjusted his body on the sofa into a lying position and continued his explanation. 
"Another unknown variable popped up in my plan to keep a low profile. Eros Delacourde. Isn't it novel-like that a handsome CEO swooped in and saved my life? Oh, and he's from a mafia family and fricking homosexual. How perfect is that?"