66

There were going to be two different services. One for the public and the other for family only. If it was up to Shane there would've been only one, but Justine wanted to give everyone the chance to say their goodbyes. She was very loved in Florida, people came from all over to pay their respects.

The first service would be held at the funeral home. From there, Justine would be driven back to her estate for the second and final service.

When Shamar and Shane had their homes built, they purchased enough land to have their own small city. But that wasn't their intentions. They really wanted enough land to not only have everyone near by but they also had a secluded family mausoleum. With a garden and pond near by, the white marble building was fit for royalty. And would be the final resting place for all of the Carters. Sasha was there, Shamiah & Trey were there. Zya was there. And that's where Justine would be laid to rest.

Slowly waking up, Paris realized she was alone in their Alaskan King bed. But she wasn't alone in the room. She could hear Shane's faint grunts and the sound of the ocean in their back yard. She could smell the salt water. She could smell syrup, and sausages. The scent alone made her stomach churn in anticipation.

Sitting up she followed the sound of her husbands voice across the room. He laid on a black metal bench, throwing weights up in the air. Not too far away from her on the bed was a breakfast charcuterie board. Filled with different meats, cheeses, crackers, fruits and breads. A cup of orange juice and two prenatal vitamins on the side.

Paris watched his muscles flex and glisten as he lifted and lowered the bar across his chest.

Breakfast with a view she thought to herself as she bit down into one of Marta's cinnamon rolls.

Today was the day of Justine's funeral.

And so far there were no liquor bottles in sight and he wasn't high. Which was a good sign for her.

There was a light breeze coming through the balcony doors. It was cloudy, it was calm, it was relaxing.

Paris was still eating & watching Shane as he worked out when his phone began ringing. Sitting up, he placed the weights on the floor before tapping his AirPods.

'Hello .... Yeah, what's this about ?' He asked ..

Looking over at Paris, he removed his fitness gloves from his hand. He rubbed his head like he did whenever he had just gotten hit with some unexpected news.

'Alright .. thank you ..' Shane replied before disconnecting the call ..

Paris stayed silent, waiting for him to tell her what the phone call was about.

But he never said anything.

He sat on the bench, scrolling through his phone. She could tell he was thinking.

Then there was a knock on the door.

"Who is it ?" Shane asked

"Me.." Solo said

"Come in .." He replied

Paris watched as Solomon walked into their bedroom. He had his dreads freshly twisted and lined up. She could tell he was already getting ready for the service. The look on his face told it all. He wasn't ready for the day, none of them were. But they had no choice ..

"Good morning Paris.." He said as he entered the room ..

"Good morning .." She replied

Turning his attention to his cousin, he shook his head .. "You got a phone call from the 4 Seasons?" He asked

"Yeap.." Shane replied

Glancing at Paris, Solo looked back to Shane
"What you want me to do ?" He asked

"What exactly happened ?" Shane asked

"She slit her wrist.. housekeeping found her .."
Solo said

"Who?" Paris asked

Sitting up in the bed, she could no longer mind her business. Her mind instantly went to Natalia.

Solo glanced between Shane and Paris. He wasn't gonna tell her if his cousin didn't want him to.

"Marsella .." Shane said

——————————————————————————-

Kelsey had been awake for hours. She couldn't sleep to save her life, meanwhile Shamar was sleeping like a baby. He had woke up once around 3am for sex. After getting what he wanted he rolled her over and went right back to bed.

She was sitting on the balcony when the sky began to turn a dark peach color. Fully aware of how tired she would be the next day, she accepted that her eyes would be swollen and red all of that day.

Losing Justine was hard. The only real mother she had ever known was gone. Her biological mom was there for the funeral. Not because she truly loved Justine, but because it would look better to Shamar if it seemed like she cared. She was there for show. Her presence rattled her spirit. Knowing her mom was using the death of someone she loved so dearly for her own selfish greed pissed her off.

She felt as if she was being punished for all of the horrible things she had done. Kelsey would gladly give up her real mom to save Justine. She hated it was that way but it was.

As tempted as she was to make her leave she didn't. And it was only because of her kids, she was a horrible mom but she was a much better grandmother. Maybe that was for show too but even Kelsey would admit she played the role too good.

She still hadn't told Shamar she was pregnant, so with enough already on their plate, she decided to go ahead and get it out the way. She peed on a stick and left it on the bathroom counter on his side, where she knew he would see it.

Kelsey heard him when he got out of the bed to go to the bathroom. She heard the toilet flush, then the sink turned on. It turned off, then she felt his presence behind her.

He sat down beside her, sitting the pregnancy test on the table.

"You pregnant .." He said, it wasn't a question ..

"I'm pregnant .." Kelsey confirmed

"Why you out here?" He asked

"I can't sleep .." She said, her voice raspy

He could tell she had been crying ..

"Did my mama know?" Shamar asked, referring to the baby ..

"Of course .." She said, her voice cracking a little..

Shamar was aware of how close Kelsey was to his mom. He was aware of her relationship with her own mother. So he was aware of how losing his mom may have been affecting her. Pulling her closer to him, she laid on his chest.

"Well that's good news, so what's your problem?" He asked ..

"I don't want you taking care of my mom anymore .."
She said

"Why not?" He asked

"She doesn't deserve it, she's not living off of me anymore .. I'm aware she has no job, so I'm fine with a one time payment for her to get back on her feet .. but that's it .. I'll talk to her tomorrow and let her know .. " She said

"Alright.." He said

They sat in silence for a while as the sun made its way up into the sky. It was the day none of them were looking forward to. They weren't ready, and she doubted they would ever be.

"She may be gone now Kelsey, but I'm still here .. I know haven't been the best but I'm gonna always be here for you, no matter what." Shamar said

"I know .." Kelsey replied

"Go get you some sleep .. it's gonna be a long day.." Standing up, he headed back inside ..

"In a minute .."

"Now .." He said

—————————————————————————

COMMENT AND VOTE 🤍