89. Time To Say Goodbye

Start from the beginning

Everything was too peaceful. Or maybe you were numb so you couldn't feel much of the thing you were doing. Even searching through the wardrobe for clothes felt heavy and tiring.

You jolted as a sudden sharp pain pulsed through your body.

Already knowing the source, you stared blankly at your arms and the blackness marring them before peeking at other parts of your body. Black veins pulsed across your naked body before fading away. It appeared again and followed the same pattern. Over and over.

It had gotten worse, you summarized, focusing on your magic to mask them.  You slowly buttoned up your shirt, wincing at the sharp pangs. Tugging at your sleeves restlessly, you muttered, "I should go see them too. This might be the last chance I'd get to see their faces."

You looked back towards the bed to see Claude curled up, a small frown etched on his face as he clung to the pillow. You sat beside him at the corner of the bed and adjusted the blankets over him, pausing to stare at him in a daze. You sighed, you were stalling and making it hard for yourself.

Berating yourself mentally, you finally walked away and closed the door behind you, leaning against it, taking deep, slow breaths, you moved away and stepped into the empty hallway.

You wanted to take your time and savour everything but your mind was blank most of the way. You didn't even realize how you got into Athanasia's room.

You were a little surprised when you found Jenette in the same bed as Athanasia, both sisters clinging to each other as they slept.

You smiled. Relieved to know Athanasia wasn't going to be alone and Jenette would finally get the family she longed for. They'd be together like a proper family.

You sat at the corner of the bed and kissed Athanasia. forehand, caressing her cheeks affectionately.

"Thank you for letting me be a mother to you, Athy Thank you for you letting me take care of you. Even if I was selfish for wanting to take Diana's place, you still called me your mother. You don't know how happy you made me."

You whispered, unable to hide the woeful crying in your halting voice.

"I failed you in first life. So I hope this time, you can be happy and live the life you deserve." You pressed a soft kiss on her lashes, smiling when she squirmed slightly in her sleep, a small smile alit on her serene face.

You looked at Jenette and shut your eyes for a moment as you reached out to touch her face. Smiling solemnly, you pressed an affectionate kiss on her forehead too.

You pulled away and lamented as you looked at her youthful features.

"We got little time with each other this time around. You might not remember me, but I've taken care of you as my child in the past, raised you just as much care as I did with Athanasia."

A brief pause and you painfully swallowed the lump in your throat.

"But I gave you more pain than joy so I shouldn't call myself a caretaker. You deserve much more than a selfish person like me calling you my child after all the pain I caused."

You bowed your head slightly and shakily whispered.

"Forgive me, Jenette. I don't have time to make up for the pain, all the sadness I inflicted on you. The only thing I do is trust you to the people - your family who would take care of you and love you as I should have."

Sighing slightly, you looked at your beautiful girls who were still little buds yet to bloom fully and smiled as you envisioned a happy future for them where they would live together as sisters as they should have in the past.