Chapter 51

I tap my foot against the floor, for what seems like the millionth time in the past few minutes.

Donovan has been here for almost an hour, and because I'm not family, they won't tell me anything other than that he's alive.

A loud bang jolts me in my seat, and I see them before I hear them, Donovan's parents storming down the halls, looking exactly like how I feel like my world is falling apart.

"You!" His mom screams, raising her hand, coming over to me as my mom stands up next to me, stopping Donovan's mom's hand from connecting with my face.

"You will not touch my son!" My mom roars out, blocking her from me as Robbie stands up in front of me, as Clara's hand touches mine.

Unaffected, his mom glares down at me. "How dare you show your face here! After what you've done!"

"THIS WOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED IF YOU JUST LEFT MY SON ALONE!" She yelled out, red-faced and heaving with anger. "You filthy, disgusting thing!" Her cold grey eyes bore into mine with such hate.

"GET OUT, YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE!" Her loud screeching voice bounces off the walls, as Donovan's private security move from Donovan's room, to where we were, an angry, cold expression on his face.

"Ma'am, please calm down or I'll have to escort you outside."

One of Donovan's security says, holding onto her arm.

Mary Steele shoves the man's hand from her arm and scoffs, as Jacob Steele smiles apologetically at me, his eyes bloodshot, he looked like he had aged ten years in mere minutes, unlike Mary, who simply looked angry, rather than upset, like her husband.

A doctor enters the hallway and walks over to us and the commotion Donovan's mom caused, a scowl on his face as he stares down the older woman, straightening her expensive dress down with her hands.

"Are you the family of Donovan Steele?" He asks his parents, and they nod their heads.

"You can see him now, he's awake and stable." He tells them, before looking at me apologetically. 

"I'm sorry, it's family only."

My heart sinks as the words leave his mouth, watching as Donovan's doctor leads his parents down the hall and into the room Donovan is in, leaving me in the hallway, with my mom, Robbie, and Clara.

"Not family." Tears fall down my face, laughing bitterly. "I'm his fucking boyfriend!" I snap out as Robbie rubs my back as my mom holds my hand, sitting next to me.

"I've been there for him, what have they done for him?" I snap out, glaring down the hall where they once stood.

"Evan, could I get you something to drink?" Clara asks, and I shake my head. "What about something to eat?"

"I just want to see him." I rub my face roughly with my tear-soaked hands. "I live with him, fucking hell! I should be in there with him, not them!"

"Evan." My mom squeezes my hand, her voice calm. "He's alive, he's alright, despite Donovan's relationship with his parents, he is still their son, and they are still his parents."

I understand what my mom is saying, but it doesn't make me feel any better.

He was alone and so disorientated when I found him, huddled in the corner like that, alone, probably scared out of his mind, all while a party was going on downstairs for me.

If only I had known something was wrong... if only he just told me if he was sick... I could've gotten him help sooner, and none of this would have happened.