Chapter 44

I bang my fists hard against the front door, not caring if his neighbors wake up.

"Robbie!" I yell out, banging again. "Robbie open up dammit!"

I hear the jingle of the chain on their door, then the door opens, but it's not Robbie, it's his girlfriend, Clara, who looks like I just woke her up and she wasn't expecting me to show up.

"Evan?" She mumbles out tiredly, looking behind me, then sticks her head out the door to check both sides of the hallway. "It's 2 in the morning, Evan."

I swallow hard, my hands shaking as I look behind her for Robbie, but I don't see him. "Is he here? I need to talk to him." I urgently say. "Please can you just get him? I'll be quick." I almost beg.

"He's not here Evan, he's staying at Mark's, with Liam and Justin." She says confused. "I thought you were with them?"

What? Why would I be with them? "Since it's Mark's birthday and all." She clarified, making my eyes go wide.

His birthday... fuck, I forgot... how could I forget? Shit, just how bad of a friend am I?

I feel so pathetic, coming all the way here, being in Donovan's house was suffocating, especially since he didn't come out of his room, I got dressed and then bolted.

After driving around for a few hours, I couldn't go back to his, and with nowhere else to go, I came to the only place I feel safe, Robbies.

"Come on inside, you look like you need to sit down." She says, grabbing hold of my hand and walking me inside, closing the door behind her.

Looking around, everything is the same as it always was, not a single thing has changed since the last time I crashed here. 

"I'm sorry, if I knew you were here, I wouldn't have come." I say pathetically, sitting on the sofa as Clara turns on the kitchen light.

She waves me off and then starts making coffee. "Well, I'll admit I thought we were getting broken into." She joked, turning on the coffee machine. "Do you want me to call Robbie? I'm sure if I tell him you're here, he'll come right over."

The guilt is eating me alive, I should just go, book myself into a hotel and sleep off my pitiful thoughts and emotions.

I sit up and shake my head. "I should just go, I'm intruding, I'm so sorry for waking you up." I say heading to the door.

"Sit down, I'm up now, plus I just made coffee." She huffs out. "I'm not Robbie but I can listen if you want to talk about whatever is bothering you?"

Looking back, I really don't want to burden anyone, especially not Clara, she's so good for Robbie, I don't want to drive a wedge between their relationship with my bullshit.

"I insist." She says, smiling as she pours coffee into two cups.

"It's too late to be driving anyways, Robbie would get mad if you left this late, so just stay the night."

She places the coffee on the coffee table and sits down on the sofa, curling her legs, and getting comfortable as she waits for me.

She's right, but fuck if it doesn't feel humiliating to her seeing me like this.

I sit down and grab my cup of coffee. "Do you want to talk about it??"

Resting my head against the sofa I sigh out, not wanting to rant, but I needed to get it all out before it consumed me.

"I... I'm dating someone."

Clara raises her brows, like 'so what?' Which makes this even more awkward and uncomfortable for me...