Chapter 23

It was my last day in my hometown just outside NY, and I saved the best thing for last until I left to drive back home.

I walk down the halls of my old high school, and so many good memories come flooding back when everything was perfect, and my dad was alive and a teacher here.

I find my old locker and touch it, remembering the first day of school and my dad trying to talk to me in front of other students... I got so embarrassed that my dad was a teacher, and that he was asking if I made friends yet.

Thinking back, he'd always been there, and he'd always ask if I had a good day when nobody was around after that, realising it now, I was probably not the best son to him, even though he was always the best dad to me.

I walk down the hall until I reach his old classroom and then try my luck to open the door, and then turn it only to see that it's unlocked.

I walk inside and admire how nothing has changed, everything was the same...

History... I used to love listening to my dad talk about the great adventures of the world while keeping things fun so nobody fell asleep, it was one of the best lessons that every student looked forward to, just because of him, and his enthusiasm to teach.

Sitting in my old seat, three rows from the front, next to the window, I sit down and take it all in as I look around, as so much nostalgia hits me about being here.

Those were good times, if only I appreciated them more, then maybe I'd have been nicer to him, told him I loved him more, that I was lucky he was my dad.

"Evan?" A soft voice says, startling me. "Oh heavens, I thought it was you."

My old English teacher, Mrs. Rue comes over to me with her arms open wide as I get out of my seat and go over to her and wrap my arms around her tiny body.

"My, you are so tall now, and still handsome I see!" She pats my back, looking up at me. "How long has it been?" She asks a tear in her eye.

I laugh and look her over, seeing that she hasn't changed a single day, other than she's gotten older.

"Six years to be exact." I say, smiling widely, not thinking I'd bump into her.

"What are you doing here on a Sunday?"

"I just came to get some things from my classroom." She waves me off, before smiling widely. "I retired on Friday, my 30th year of teaching I decided it was time to relax and spend some time with my daughter and grandkids."

Wait- Claire had children? "I had no idea, congratulations on being a granny." I say cheekily. "When did Claire give birth?" I ask, following her as we head out of the classroom and into the halls.

"Two years ago." She smiles, remembering the day. "She has two boys now, married a lovely fellow, a doctor who works in the local hospital." She said, beaming with pride.

There was a moment of silence as I enter the hallway, looking around one last time before I drive back to the city.

"Richard would have been proud of you Evan, you've grown into a good man." She says, catching me by surprise as she smiles warmly at me. "We're all very proud of you."

"Not just a week ago I finished your show with my daughter, but I'll have to admit now, I had to look away on a few occasions." She says, fanning her face, making me laugh out loud, knowing exactly what she's talking about, and what scenes.

"I should get going, it's a long drive back." I sigh, glad that I came as I hug her once more. "It's been good seeing you."

"Take care okay?" She rubs my back. "And don't be a stranger, you're always welcome at my home."

I pull away and smile. "Thanks Rue."

After saying my goodbyes, I make my way back to my car and then shut the door, deciding to turn my phone on and check my messages, after not turning my phone on since Friday.

Coming alive, my phone blows up with missed calls, emails, texts, and voicemails, but despite the overwhelming hundreds of people trying to get into contact with me, one catches me off guard.

I knew this number...it was Donovan Steele's number.

I deleted his phone number a week after leaving Desire, even going as far as to send back everything he gave to me, that includes the laptop, phone, and gym clothes I got from his private member gym.

Since then I'd not heard anything from him other than what premier he went to in the news or who he was currently dating, but of course, those were just rumors, he'd never let the press get that information, he's too private.

Do I read it, or do I delete it and just call Robbie and let him know I'm heading back, considering he left me a sizable amount of missed calls...

"Fucking hell." I mutter out, getting annoyed at myself.

I decided to phone Robbie before anyone else since he had left the most messages.

Robbie picks up almost instantly.

"Where the hell have you been?!" He shouts out, panic in his voice. "I've been worried sick- I even phoned the police thinking you'd done something, or worse, that something happened to you!"

"I'll come to get you, where are you?" He asks again, hearing the sound of keys rattling in his hands. "I'll leave right now, I just need to find my shoes..."

I sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose. "Rob, slow down, I'm fine, I just spent a few days back home to recharge my batteries."

"I'm fine, seriously." I tell him, rolling my eyes. "I was just about to drive back to the city."

Robbie sighs out loudly, making me wince, moving the phone from my ear.

"You should've told someone Evan, I've had people come to my apartment looking for you." He snaps angrily. "You can't just vanish like that, what if some crazy fan followed you there and kidnapped you? I'd have to find out about it from the news!"

I snort at how that'd never happen. "You're being ridiculous, I'm a grown man."

"What people came looking for me?" I ask curious, starting my car and putting my phone on the phone holder as I pull out of the school's parking lot whilst putting my seatbelt on.

The line goes quiet for a moment, making me wonder if he hung up on me.

"You still there?" I ask, turning onto the road back to the city.

"The police Evan, someone broke into your apartment and trashed the place."

My eyes almost pop out of my head as I stare at my phone in confusion. "What?"

"Yeah." He cringes. "Looks like they stole some things, but I couldn't say for sure, the police wouldn't tell me much... but Evan, you should phone them, it's made the news, and the fact you've been missing all weekend... just call them okay?"

My head starts pounding as I feel a headache coming on, and I haven't even gotten back to the city yet.

Who the hell would break into my apartment? "I'm on my way back, I'll call them as soon as I reach the city."

"Did they leave a number?"

"I'll text it to you." He says sighing in relief. "You're gonna be the death of me Evan." He says before ending the call.

Stopping at a red light, I put my head down on the wheel and groan out, so annoyed that it's barely been two days and something like this happened.

I glance at my phone and decide to open the text message from Donovan because let us face it, life couldn't get any more dramatic or worse.

When I open his text, my chest tightens as I read out his text, not understanding why he's contacting me now, after so long.

ᴅᴏɴᴏᴠᴀɴ: Please get in contact with me, I need to know you're safe