Chapter 28

"Do you want to talk about it?" Robbie asked, for the hundredth time this morning.

I look at him with my bloodshot eyes while I pour alcohol on my bruised knuckles.

Shit, it fucking hurts, my hand is killing me, my head feels like it's about to split open, and I haven't slept since I left my hometown, it's official, my life sucks.

That letter Donovan's sister left me made me almost feel sorry for her, because I knew what she was going through, in some ways, my mom was also as messed up as Donovan's sister.

I want to hate her, I want to find her grave and spit on it, heck I wouldn't mind punching it just like I punched her stupid brother.

Or 'almost' punched her stupid brother, the fucker moved his head just in time, making me punch the wall, almost breaking my hand in the process.

"I'm fine, seriously." I tell Robbie, a sigh escaping my lips.

"I'll be out as soon as the police say it's safe to go back to my apartment."

'Safe', I don't even know the word anymore, but I do know once it's safe to go back, I'm moving the hell out of that apartment.

Robbie's face dropped. "Evan, you should stay man, those chicks breaking into your place, and your disappearing act." He sighed.

"I think you need to talk to someone... professionally about this, it's not healthy."

I scoff and shake my head, getting up from the sofa. "I know you're trying to help, but don't, it's fucking annoying, everyone tells me what to do on a daily basis, I don't need that from my fucking best friend."

My phone rings, again, and when I see who it is, again, I press decline on him.

"You're like my brother Evan, and you're struggling, it's because I'm your best friend that I'm telling you this, and the thing with your mom-"

"Just shut the fuck up Robbie!" I shout out in his face. "Stop trying to tell me what to do when I just told you that I'm fine, now get the fuck off your high horse and stop telling me how to live my life, just focus on your own and stay out of mine!"

I'm breathing heavily, and seconds from blowing up again, and saying some really nasty shit, but despite how angry I was, and on edge, I felt like shit to take it out on him, after he was just trying to help me.

"I'm going out for a walk." I say, grabbing my stuff from the table and heading straight for the front door.

I leave his apartment, and slam the door shut behind me as I step onto the streets of downtown NY.

Pulling my hoodie up, I start walking towards the park, exactly where I used to go whenever things got too much for me and I just had to get away.

Since last night, I'm been a mess, and taking it out on Robbie was something I never wanted to do, now I just feel like a fucking asshole.

Donovan has called me every hour on the hour since I left the hotel room, after attacking him, I was hoping he would leave me alone, he really must be stupid to think I was going to talk to him.

In terms of getting justice for my dad, it was a dead end, with no evidence and my word against a prominent family of billionaires, I might as well say I can see ghosts because that'd be more believable than saying they covered up the death of my dad.

I wish I never met him, I wish he'd never given me that money, then I... I wouldn't...

Fuck, Evan...

Donovan Steele had ruined me, as much as I wanted to beat the shit out of his handsome face and hate him, I couldn't, I was in love with him, despite his involvement with covering up Alex's messes.