Chapter 34

The restaurant of Donovan's friend wasn't just any restaurant, but nothing is just as it seems when Donovan Steele was involved.

I should've known. 

I had heard about this restaurant, I could never afford to even look at places like this before, nevermind eat inside, but knowing certain people and having money really does open doors for you, especially considering right now I'm sat inside Il Fiore, the Italian Michelin star restaurant.

The restaurant alone was out of this world, we sat in a private booth away from the eyes of the other rich, well-known people in NY, with our own room, table, and server, it was beyond any date I'd ever been on.

I see someone I recognize walk to our table before Donovan does, and when she gets close, she sticks her head inside the room and grins at me making me smile back politely, catching the attention of Donovan, and making him turn around to see what I was smiling at.

"I was told we were having special guests, but I never thought it'd be you, Steele." She says amused, as Donovan gets up to hug her, with a relaxed grin on his face. "I never thought I'd see you in here anytime soon."

I'm completely speechless, I've never seen Donovan hug anyone, or seen him around friends, or mention any friend before, and now I'm seeing him hug THE Carmen Skitz, the most beautiful chef I've ever seen, and the owner of this place.

"What?" He huffed out. "A man has to eat." He jokes, his eyes focusing back on me, making me nervous.

"I'm actually here on a date." He tells her, hinting at me, making her eyes go wide once she looks at me.

"This is Evan Beckett, my date."

There's a moment of silence, making a big pile of dread sit in my stomach, but it goes away just as fast once Carmen smiles widely as she catches on to who exactly Donovan is on a date with.

"Well shit." She said before gaping as her eyes flash. "I know who you are."

"You're on TV." She says surprised. "The famous actor, right? The one with the high school drama."

Smiling politely, I get up from my seat and shake her hand.

"Yep, that's me, in the flesh." I say nervously, seeing Donovan smile from the corner of my eye.

"What are you doing on a date with this loser?" She says, pulling me into a hug, surprising me. "You should date me, I'm much more fun than Donovan."

Donovan snorts and sits down, glaring at Carmen. "Good luck with that, I had to bribe him just to come here tonight with me."

I blush once the words leave his mouth, knowing that twenty minutes ago he had to practically order clothes for me, and put my socks and shoes on after I had second thoughts, nervous about being seen together on a date.

This is what I was nervous about...

"Really?" She laughs. "I don't blame you, Evan, this one is really needy once you tear away those onion layers of him."

"Deep down Donovan is nothing more than a big softie."

Donovan glares at his friend while I laugh at both of them. 

"I suppose you know what you both want?" She asks both of us, and Donovan nods his head.

As Donovan orders for the both of us, I see the curious faces of couples with linked arms walking past our private booth, wearing the finest of dresses and suits, matched with accessories that cost more than anything I'd ever make in my lifetime.

I bet they're wondering who the hell I am, and why I'm here with Donovan Steele, the billionaire.

How do I explain this situation without knowing fully what I am to him? Are we dating now? Is he my boyfriend or is he still seeing women?