September 1st

Mom's job transfer went through over the summer so luckily we are all moved in and ready to go by the time the first day of school rolls around. That being said I still haven't seen or let any of my friends know that I've moved back to Hawkins. I've kept in touch with Max Mayfield especially after her brother, Billy, passed away and Robin Buckley and I talk nightly over the phone. Even though I talk to them regularly a part of me wants to wait to tell them in person about the move, eager to see their surprised faces.

So now that it's September first and it's actually the first day of my senior year, I'm a nervous wreck. It's finally time to see my friends and start my newest chapter at Hawkins High.

I've been up since 5am, too nervous to sleep. I took all the curlers out of my blonde hair and let each heavy curl bounce against my back before shaking them out, giving my hair volume. I run my fingers through the strands until it looks just the way I want and I smile, pleased with the results. I take out my makeup and apply foundation to my face and add a very thin layer of baby pink blush to each cheek. I use a similar shaded eyeshadow to coat each of my eyelids before adding eyeliner and mascara, making my sapphire blue eyes shine. I take out some clear lip gloss and pocket it so I can apply it after breakfast and put the rest of my makeup away.

I haven't been able to decide what to wear, but now that I've figured out my makeup I'm hoping it will help me solidify my decision. I pull out a few options but ultimately I decide on a pink and white checkered dress with a pastel pink cardigan over it. I throw on some white converse and smile at my handiwork in my full length mirror. I grab my bag off the floor and head downstairs with a small smile on my face.

My mom works long hours at the hospital as a surgeon so she is rarely home and when she is home she is often on call. When I was a kid and my mom was still a resident and paying off a lot of her school debt, we lived in a trailer park across town. I had a friend named Eddie Munson that would come and stay with me when my mom was away. Eddie and I were thick as thieves growing up. We did absolutely everything together. Eddie's uncle worked long hours as well so we always snuck into each other's trailers and stayed up into the small hours of the morning, playing D&D and watching scary movies.

I don't know how I would have gotten through those times without Eddie. I would have been traumatized forever if I would have been alone. But he always kept me smiling and made me feel safe and a part of my heart will always belong to the small boy who lived down the road. A part of me wonders if he still lives in Hawkins and if I'll get the chance to see him again and I chuckle to myself as I pour a bowl of cereal. Hawkins High is huge and besides the likelihood he would even remember me is slim to none.

I eat my cereal and clean my bowl before going to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I apply my lip gloss and give my lips a satisfactory smack before stashing the gloss in my bag. I fish my keys out of the front pocket of my backpack and head out, locking up behind me. I get in my car and drive to the high school, nervously tapping the steering wheel as I go.

I find a parking spot in the back, not minding the walk and I get out. I still need to go to the office and get my schedule and get assigned a guide since I am new so I make it my priority to head there first. I nervously tuck some of my hair behind my ear as I walk through the lot, feeling the eyes of the students around me following me as I pass.

"Hi there," a cheerful voice calls and I look up to see a cheerleader with honey colored hair approaching me with a smile. She has a stack of papers in her hands. I smile back at her. "I'm Chrissy Cunningham, varsity cheer captain. Are you new here?"

"Hi, I'm Ripley Marro. I moved here over the summer but I've lived in Hawkins years ago." I answer and her smile grows.

"You went to Hawkins middle right?" She asks and I nod enthusiastically.