Chapter Twenty-nine

Lola

I'm texting on Facebook messenger when I get a message request.

"Marissa?" I say to myself seeing that the request is from my fourteen year old sister back in Kansas.

I accept her message request and she starts to call me.

"Hello?" I answer the call.

"Lola, I killed pawpaw" Marissa tells me.

I silently stay on the phone not knowing what to say.. my grandad had been sexually molesting me before I ran away.

"Lola?" Marissa says bringing me out of my thoughts

"I'm here.. w-what happened?" I ask her.

"I got tired of him touching on me so I killed him. I've been on the streets for four days" Marissa says making my heart break.

I should've never left her there. I wasn't thinking that our grandad might start touching her once I wasn't there for him to touch anymore.. I just wanted to get away.

"Marissa where are you right now?" I ask her.

"Hiding out at the old barn we use to play in" Marissa tells me.

"Lola pawpaws death was even on the news, they're calling it a violent homicide" She continues.

I swallow a lump in my throat and it comes right back.

"U-Um Marissa how did you kill him and does anyone else know what you did?" I ask her.

"I stabbed him twenty three times and no one knows it was me. I'm scared that the cops will arrest me when they find out" Marissa tells me in a panic.

"Okay it's okay.. just stay where you are and don't move. I'm coming to Kanas to get you" I tell her.

Oh my god..

China

Red has been super depressed since Brent told him that his mom died.. He keeps telling me that he's okay but it's obvious that he isn't.

"Red baby, are you hungry?" I ask softly. Dj and I just came back from McDonald's.

"I got you a Big Mac meal" I tell him sitting the bag next to him.

He doesn't say anything...

I sigh before laying Dj in his crib.

"I'm going to call Brent" I tell Red.

I grab my phone, calling Brent.

"What's up best friend?" Brent answers on the first ring.

"Red hasn't eaten or talked in days. I don't know what to do" I tell him.

He sighs.

"I'm gone call my mom then I'll call you right back" Brent tells me.

"Okay thanks Brent" I say before hanging up.

"I told you I'm okay" Red finally speaks.

"You're not okay. I want you to be okay" I tell him softly.

He doesn't respond...

Brent

"Ma, China said Red not eating or talking. She called me because she doesn't know what to do but I don't know what to do either" I tell my mom on the phone.

She sighs.

"It's going to take him some time.. I'll talk to him" My mom assures me.

"Okay, love you" I tell her.

"Love you too son" My mom says before hanging up the phone.

I pull up to the hospital to speak with Big A. Someone tried to rob the trap and I need to find out who.

I get out of my car, locking the doors before walking towards the entrance of the hospital. I walk through the hospital doors as they automatically open, going straight to Big A's room.

"What's up dawg" Big A speaks laying in the hospital bed and watching tv with an immobilizer on his arm.

"Nothing much, glad to see you alright man" I tell him.

"Thanks dawg"

"Did you notice anything about the niggas that tried to rob us? Like anything that the cameras may not have caught?" I ask Big A.

He looks like he's thinking.

"One of the niggas had a lion tattoo on his right hand" Big A tells me.

I nod...That's something...

"Where's Red?" Big A asks.

"He going through some personal problems right now" I say remembering that I need to call China back.

China

"Okay thank you" I tell Brent right as someone knocks on the front door.

"No problem" Brent tells me before ending the call.

I open the front door and it's Brent's mom.

"Hi Mrs..." I start to say not knowing her name.

"Taylor" She tells me.

"Mrs Taylor" I say with a smile.

"Hey, how are you doing beautiful?" Mrs. Taylor asks pulling me into a hug.

"I'm doing good but Red.. not so much" I tell her as we walk further into the house.

"Where is he?" She asks as her eyes land on Dj in his rocker.

"Oh my.. Look at this handsome little man. Looking just like his daddy" Mrs Taylor coos at Dj.

She picks him up from the rocker and starts to hold him.

"He is just too precious" Mrs Taylor continues.

"Thank you" I say with a smile

"Daniel" Mrs Taylor says turning her attention to Red as he comes down the stairs

"Hey ma" Red says hugging her after she sits Dj back in his rocker.

"How are you feeling?" Mrs Taylor asks him.

"I'm okay" Red lies as they both sit on the couch.

"I was told that you weren't eating or talking.. I just want you to know that you have love and support. Tamara wouldn't want you to be sad or depressed. You know she'd tell you quick to put a smile on your face" Mrs. Taylor tells Red.

"I know ma but I miss her so bad" Red says as a tear falls down his cheek, making my heart hurt for him.

"and you'll always miss her, that's not going away baby but try to think of the good side of things, she's no longer in pain and she's in a better place. I'm right here if you ever need me" Mrs Taylor says trying to comfort Red.

My phone vibrates tuning me out of their conversation. I pick up my phone seeing a text from Jamari

Mari: Are you okay? I've been thinking about you.

Me: Hey yeah I'm okay.

Mari: Can I see you again ?

Mari: Or has your baby daddy ruined that?

Me: Of course you can see me again.

Mari: How about tonight?

Me: Mari I'm not sure about tonight..

Mari: Please ? ☹️

Me: Okay I'll let you know

I lock my phone before looking back up at Mrs Taylor and Red. Red is now crying on her shoulder..

God he's taking this hard...

......
◾️Updating asap ! Thanks for Reading XOXO 🖤