five.

present.

"EMILY! THE DISHES ARE waiting for you". Emily sighed and put her phone on charge and slipped slippers on her feet. she dragged herself downstairs towards the kitchen.

there she found her grandmother , standing by the sink. "are you sure you are not hungry, my girl?" her grandmother — Louise— asked.

Emily shook her head and began emptying the kitchen sink. Louise watched her granddaughter with pityful eyes. Emily didn't eat , sleep or talked to anyone. she was just...there.

"you don't have to do it" Louise said as she looked at her granddaughter who shrugged. "it's okay , grams. i'll be okay" she said the last part softly.

Louise's eyes filled with tears and she kissed Emily's cheek. "me and grandpa will be going to the supermarket. do you want to go with?" Louise softly asked.

Emily shook her head. "you two go. i'll stay here and clean" she said, as she began washing the cups and glasses.

Louise sighed in sympathy and just then , her husband — David— entered the kitchen. "you want anything from the supermarket , sweets?" he asked.

Emily stilled as she heard the nickname and Louise gave her husband a look to which David softly facepalmed himself.

but Emily kept her eyes on the dishes and shook her head. "no , nothing grandpa. thank you" she said in a soft voice , making sure her words weren't shaky.

he kissed her cheek and then walked out , Louise following him. "we'll buy you ice cream" Louise said and then she heard the front door close.

with that , Emily dried her hands with the dry cloth and held onto the sink.

her eyes filled with water and soon enough , tears spilled over her cheeks. she sat on the floor of the kitchen as the sobs came out.

and even though she wanted to stop it , she couldn't. the emotions were too much and she was full blown crying.

the nickname was the trigger. once she heard that , her throat was in pain all over again and her nose burned.

she cried for everything. especially for her mom.

Valentina's faced played in front of her and she cried harder. she wasn't the same once she heard about her mother's death.

death in a car accident. instant death.

no last words or last moments. nothing.

Emily cried as  she held onto her chest. she cried as she thought of her not going to hear her mom's voice again. or get to feel her hug again. or going to hear her jokes again.

everything hurt and Emily didn't know how to stop it. the only thing that was helping her now , was the memories , placed up in a box in the storeroom.

she listened to the voicemail of her mother every single time just to get through the day. just to hear that voice one last time.

the door opened and Emily heard voices. "Emily?" it was Louise.

the woman went into the kitchen and her heart sank at the image in front of her. she couldn't bare to see her granddaughter hurt.

"oh mi dios , Emily" Louise said and crouched down. she engulfed the girl in a hug to which the girl immediately responded.

Louise was the closest thing to her mother she have right now.

"grams ,i miss her so , so much" Emily choked out as she cried. Louise rubbed her back and kissed her forehead before hugging her again.

"i know , hija. i know"

———