𝕋𝕛𝕦𝕖

Chapter twenty

(I don't have a fact, sorry)

🎶🎶🎶

Midas laughed. "My dear, that was highly offensive but you seem to have humour so I'll let it slide." He switched his gaze back to Piper. "May I see your backpack for a moment? Toss it here."

Piper hesitated, but she wasn't eager to offend the king. She dumped everything out of the pack and tossed it to Midas. As soon as he caught it, the pack turned to gold, like frost spreading across the fabric. It still looked flexible and soft, but definitely gold. Thea wondered where her backpack had gone, before remembering it was lost in detroit.

The king tossed Piper's back.

"As you see, I can still turn anything to gold," Midas said. "That pack is magic now, as well. Go ahead - put your little storm spirit enemies in there."

"Seriously?" Leo was suddenly interested. He took the bag from Piper and held it up to the cage. As soon as he unzipped the back- pack, the winds stirred and howled in protest. The cage bars shuddered. The door of the prison flew open and the winds got vacuumed straight into the pack. Leo zipped it shut and grinned. "Gotta admit. That's cool."

"You see?" Midas said. "My golden touch a curse? Please. I didn't learn any lesson, and life isn't a story, girl. Honestly, my daughter Zoe was much more pleasant as a gold statue."

"She talked a lot." Lit offered.

"Exactly! And so I turned her back to gold." Midas pointed. There in the corner was a golden statue of a girl with a shocked expression, as if she were thinking, 'Dad!'

"That's horrible!" Piper said, and Ally nodded along with her, a frown on her face as if she was wondering how someone could do such a thing to their child.

"Nonsense. She doesn't mind. Besides, if I'd learned my lesson, would I have gotten these?"

Midas pulled off his oversize sleeping cap, and Thea didn't know whether to laugh or get

sick. Midas had long fuzzy grey ears sticking up from his white hair - like Bugs Bunny's, but they weren't rabbit ears. They were donkey ears.

"Oh, wow," Leo said. "I didn't need to see that."

Thea sat a bit forward in her seat, not caring about Ally and Piper's hesitant looks.

"Which god did you piss off to get those?"

Lityerses seemed to catch some interest in her after that.

"Are you sure you wanna hear the story, girl? It might be a bit scary to such a wonderful demigoddess as you."

Thea criinged, and almost shared her parentage just to scare him off, but she wanted to hear the story so she just nodded instead.

"Terrible, isn't it?' Midas sighed. "A few years after the golden touch incident, I judged a music contest between Apollo and Pan, and I declared Pan the winner. Apollo, sore loser, said I must have the ears of an ass, and voilà. This was my reward for being truthful. I tried to keep them a secret. Only my barber knew, but he couldn't help blabbing." Midas pointed out another golden statue - a bald man in a toga, holding a pair of shears.