𝔽𝕖𝕞𝕥𝕖𝕟

Chapter fifteen

(18 people have died in space)

ꨄꨄꨄ

They took the escalator down to the base of the fountain, arriving just a second after the boys and the sorcerer. For the first time, Thea noticed two large bronze sundials - each about the size of a trampoline - inlaid on the marble tile floor to the north and south of the fountain.

The gilded oversize canary cages stood to the east and west, and the furthest one held the storm spirits. They were so densely packed, spinning around like a super-concentrated tornado, that it wasn't possible to tell how many there were, but there were a lot.

"Hey," Leo said, "Coach Hedge looks okay!"

They ran to the nearest canary cage. Thea had never seen the coach in such a weird state. He seemed to have been petrified in some weird position with his bat raised, orange polo shirt, the wispy goatee, the whisthe around his neck - she could imagine Coach Hedge as his good old annoying self, or at least the one who she argued with several times at camp.

"Yes," the princess said. "I always keep my wares in good condition. We can certainly barter for the storm spirits and the satyr. A package deal. If we come to terms, I'll even throw in the vial of healing potion, and you can go in peace." She gave Piper a shrewd look and then notice the missing demigoddess having returned.

"That's better than starting unpleasantness, isn't it, dears? Oh, and good to see you again, Lilith."

Don't trust her, Jack's voice warned her mentally. He was still around. Possibly to take revenge, possibly  to help Ally.

Thea knew she couldn't fight Medea alone though. She wasn't good with plans. It would have to be someone else that did the speaking.

"We can negotiate," Piper said.

"Totally!" Leo agreed. "Name your price."

"Leo!" Piper and Thea snapped.

The princess chuckled. "Name my price? Perhaps not the best haggling strategy, my boy, but at least you know a thing's value. Freedom is very valuable indeed. You would ask me to release this satyr, who attacked my storm winds."

"Who attacked us," Piper interjected.

Her Highness shrugged. "As I said, my patron asks me for small favours from time to time. Sending the storm spirits to abduct you, that was one. I assure you it was nothing personal. And no harm done, as you came here, in the end of your own free will! At any rate, you want the satyr freed, and you want my storm spirits - who are very valuable servants, by the way - so you can hand them over to that tyrant Aeolus. Doesn't seem quite fair, does it? The price will be high."

"Merda," Thea cursed. This wasn't going to plan. But then again, they didn't really have a plan either.

Thea could see that the boys were ready to offer anything, promise anything. Before they could speak, Piper played her last card.