𝔽𝕛𝕠𝕣𝕥𝕖𝕟

Chapter fourteen

(Mirrors don't break, they multiply)

ꨄꨄꨄ

"Thea, we gotta move on." was the sentence that started Thea's day. It took a couple seconds before she remembered why they had to keep going, but once she did it was up and go.

Piper was the one who woke her, and she was also the one to hand Thea her bag once she was ready to move on.

They kept walking through the tunnel. It twisted and turned and seemed to go on forever. Thea wasn't sure what to expect at the end - a dungeon, a mad scientist's lab or maybe a sewer reservoir where all Porta-Potty sludge ends up, forming an evil toilet face large enough to swallow the world... aka, queen dirt face.

Instead, they found polished steel elevator doors, each one engraved with a cursive letter M, something that was not a good sign.

Next to the elevator was a directory, like for a department store.

"M for Macy's?" Piper guessed. "I think they have one in downtown Chicago."

"Or Monocle Motors still?" Leo said. "Guys, read the directory. It's messed up."

"Okay, I can't read, but I can guarantee it isn't Macy's," Thea said.

"You can't read?" Leo asked.

"Dyslexia, Leonardo," the girl deadpanned.

"Want me to read out loud?" Piper asked.

"Nah, it's okay. It seems boring anyway," Thea shrugged.

"Kennels for what?" Piper then asked, the question directed to Jason. "And what kind of department store has its entrance in a sewer?"

"Or sells poisons," Leo said. "Man, what does "sundries" even mean? Is that like underwear?"

Jason took a deep breath. "When in doubt, start at the top."

"In other words, we're completely fucked," Thea muttered to herself, but she followed after them non the less.

***

The doors slid open on the fourth floor, and the scent of perfume wafted into the elevator.

Jason stepped out first, sword ready. "Guys,' he said. "You've got to see this."

Piper joined him and caught her breath.

"This is not Macy's."

"That's what I said, but who listens to me?" Thea said, following the other two out of the elevator.

The department store looked like the inside of a kaleidoscope. The entire ceiling was a stained-glass mosaic with astrological signs around a giant sun. The daylight streaming through it washed everything in a thousand different colours. The upper floors made a ring of balconies around a huge central atrium, so they could see all the way down to the ground floor. Gold railings glittered so brightly they were hard to look at.