Devil Cry

-3 Days after the Fall of Seoul-

Heavy wheels roll around the dirt, leaving tire marks and the capital behind. Military trucks transport the citizens of Seoul with the supervision of the government.

They all settled in an undercover base with professionals aiding the people.

Heesung, who co-leads this operation with Soobin, maintains his composure despite experiencing grief and doesn't let it interfere with his job.

As a medical volunteer, Jake treats patients of all ages who have been wounded.

Jungwon and Jay distribute the goods to starving victims.

And Riki, he's had it rough.

Although it was his responsibility to assist Jake, he chose to remain with Jungwon and Jay and indulge in a bowl of mint chocolate ice cream instead.

"Next in line, please!" Jungwon says after giving a meal inside a styrofoam box to a kid. His focus shifts over to Jay, who is seen to be carrying a plastic bag filled with more mint chocolate ice cream.

"Okay, what's with the bag of ice cream? And it's mint chocolate flavored. That makes me even more mad." Jungwon acknowledges the extremely large bag Jay is holding.

Jay sighs while looking over to Riki, the boy has been sitting on their cooler for God knows how long, "It's for him."

Jungwon follows his gaze, "Riki? But that's his fiftieth ice cream today."

"Don't look at me, he wanted more." Jay says. He was about to take the ice cream to Riki, but was stopped by Jungwon.

"Just stop. Don't give him the ice cream, the kids want more of that."

"Jungwon, let him wallow."

"What the fuck even is 'wallow?' Am I talking to my kindergarten student?!"

"Hey, hey." Jay puts down the bags of ice cream, "Calm down, is everything alright?"

"What do you think? We're in the government's undercover base, far away from our city which by the way is incinerated to crisps by our brother. And Sunoo..."

"Come here." Jay grabs his wrist and drags him out of the tent where the food section is. He asked a fellow soldier to take their place while they try to remain calm and collected.

-

After walking to a secluded place, Jungwon has had it and pulls his hand right out of Jay's grasp.

"What do you want?" Jungwon asks with a grunt.

"Jungwon, I know this situation we are in is so fucked up, but we only have each other. You can talk to me."

"Are you going to comfort me like how your friends from Seattle comfort you?"

"What?"

Jungwon steps forward as he brings his face close to Jay's, "You don't understand me. And you will never ever understand how much bitterness and betrayal I have felt from that day."

"I won't understand if you don't tell me anything."

"Forget this!" Jungwon threw his arms up in the air while sliding against the wall and sat on the ground. Losing a brother and a friend that is special to him made him feel mournful. He thought he could've at least done something for it to be prevented. Instead, he lets it happen.

Jay sits next to him, not uttering a word as he sees Jungwon cry. It's true, he doesn't have friends back in Seattle. He never learned how to comfort the people he cares about, he never learned what appropriate words to say to a broken friend.

"It's just, I trusted the wrong person. Ningning is literally the devil in disguise. After all that, how can I ever trust again?"

"I may not be Ningning, but I'm your brother. I'll be here and there for you." Jay says with all sincerity. Seeing Jungwon in pain makes him feel guilty because he cares so passionately about the boy.

Rather than responding to what he said, Jungwon gently lets his body fall into the arms of his brother, and surprisingly, he fits in his embrace, "I'm sorry. You're not supposed to see Satan cry. It's not very demonic of me to do."

Jay laughs at this, "You don't have to be sorry for anything, you Devil."

Jungwon responds, "Well, I am sorry for a lot of things. I'm a bad person after all."

-

To ensure that the soldiers are fulfilling their duties, Heesung double-checks the stations. When he discovered Riki was miles away from his station.

He went on over to Jake, asking him, "Hey, have you seen Riki anywhere?"

"Don't get me started with that boy. He's with Jungwon and Jay, slacking off like the Prince of Sloth he is." Jake answers with an annoyed tone.

"Thank you. I'm going to make sure he gets back in his station." Heesung was about to leave when Jake caught his hand and stopped him.

"I can tell you're stressed out. We're going to be okay." Jake assures him.

Heesung nods at him before setting off on foot once more in the direction of the food tent. Jake has known Heesung for a lengthy period of time, and as a result, he is able to read Heesung's body language, facial expressions, and overall demeanor.

-

Lucifer brings himself inside the food tent, in search of a particular prince. And then he spots him lounging on an ice cooler.

He marches towards him as he says, "Riki, shouldn't you be helping Jake right now?"

Riki ignores him and checks the bucket of ice cream he's holding, realizing that it's already empty, "I gotta get more." He was going to stand up from the cooler, but Heesung pushes him back down by the shoulders.

"Talk to me. What's with the ice cream?"

"Surprise, surprise, I don't smoke anymore, Heesung! This is how I cope. Just let me be." Riki shrugs off Heesung's hands, "Besides, you won't get me. After all, I'm just a poor teen in your eyes who failed in life!"

"Riki please! You're my brother. And I... I too lost someone deeply special to me." Riki raises his head and peers through Heesung's delicate, quivering eyes.

"Losing a friend that made you feel at peace. A friend you built memories with. A friend who--"

"Who makes you feel like a kid again. Sunoo is like that. Was like that." Riki completes Heesung's thought as soon as he recognizes that everyone is enduring the same sorrow.

"Yeah... He was. And so was Yeonjun." Heesung brushes his own tears away because he's not used to revealing any emotion in front of his brothers.

And as if he was shot by a bullet in the head, he remembers something. His detective instincts started acting up like Spider-man's 'Spidey sense'. A detail that was forgotten. How could he let this slip under his nose?

"There's a reason why Sunoo died..." He utters out.

Riki looks at him with a puzzled expression, "What do you mean?"

"I know how to defeat him."

"That's what he said during our battle with Leviathan. He was the only one to recognize our opponent's weakness."

"And what does that have to do with his death?" Riki continues to question, still not following.

Heesung looks up at Riki as he holds onto his arms,

"Riki, Sunoo is Sunghoon's weakness."

-

a/n: he sure is