Rest In Hell

Their city is engulfed in flames as the new ruler assumes power—a tyrant who has eagerly anticipated this day. The Special City is consumed in bloodshed and panic as its citizens flee their homes. At least, some people fled.

This leaves Soobin calling for greater help. He advances through the rocky path in front of him. He makes an effort to pass through the rubble as one building collapsed after another.

After turning heads a few times, he finally spots Heesung standing on top of a building with the orange spark of flames reflecting his iris, appearing to have lost all hope.

"Detective Lee!" Soobin yelps while making his way towards him, tripping over a few rocks on the way.

He exchanges his fellow comrade's look, "What happened?" Soobin raises his concern while gazing at the badly bruised detective.

Heesung turns around to show Soobin what they are up against, "We lost."

Jake sees the two of them sharing a conversation, he decides to back off, not wanting to interrupt anything.

Soobin questions, "What?"

"We lost, Soobin. We have to retreat."

"What do you mean, 'we lost'? We can't just give up this city--""

"Deliver my command to our soldiers and make sure everyone gets out of this chaos." Heesung has already concluded his thoughts. Nobody can stop Leviathan, even the six other princes.

Soobin became enraged at Heesung's lack of determination and grasped him by the collar forcefully.

"What happened to the Lee Heesung that never gave up no matter how hard the case was?! Yeonjun didn't die for you to give up that easily."

And after those words were spoken, Heesung's expression changed, "Yeonjun... what?" Soobin let's go of him, ruffling his hair out of anger as he thinks this entire circumstance they're in is a complete sham.

Heesung's mind began to whirl, his thoughts darting all over the place as he can't accept the reality that his friend, his best friend, has passed away, therefore Soobin repeats himself,

"Yeonjun is gone, Heesung. And if we don't act, all of us will end up like him! More innocent people will be devoured!"

"It can't be! That can't happen!" He yells out, his voice trembling from the anger he couldn't contain. He shot his head towards Jake who has been standing out of their sight for a while.

"Call the other princes, we have to go!"

Soobin shoves Heesung by the shoulder, making him look at him, "So you're really giving up? You're just going to let this city die?!"

"You don't get it, Soobin! You don't know what you're up against! Yeonjun didn't know what he was up against. To avoid any more casualties, we have to get out of here so do me a favor and tell our soldiers to retreat!" Heesung demands and turned his back against Soobin.

"Jake, find the others. Tell them we can't win this battle." His tone had a tinge of sorrow. Although he didn't want to give up either, he had accepted that it is not possible.

Jake nods, "Okay, I will."

-

Every vine of Ningning kept swinging away from them, delaying their movements and their senses, making it challenging for Jungwon and Jay to keep up with her speed.

Asmodeus observes their fierce conflict and promptly exerts effort to intervene by standing between them.

"Jake? What are you doing here?" Jay questions his sudden presence.

"We have to go. Lucifer wants us to retreat." Jake announces while pushing away the vine that is trying to wrap itself around him.

Jungwon tilts his head in confusion, "Retreat? What seems to be the problem?"

"I'll explain on the way. First, let's find Belphegor and Beelzebub." Jake then shifts his focus on Jay and Jungwon's opponent, "Isn't that Lilith? Wait, your friend is Lilith?"

"I know! It's crazy! I warned him about her before and he just won't believe me. He said she was different or some bullshit." Jay says.

Jungwon sighs, "Can we talk about this later?"

-

They searched every crevice and nook but couldn't find Riki. Jake figured he would be in the same spot as before given that he was aware of Heesung and Sunoo's plan.

"Riki! Sunoo! Where are you?!" Jay threw every boulder in his way to see if the both of them are under a rock or under a structure.

"They have to be here. This is where I last saw them." Jake says.

Jungwon searches thoroughly, until he finally spots Riki who is sitting under a large section of a building, "I found him!" Jungwon shouts as he approaches the teen who looked fatigued.

Jay and Jake followed Jungwon, but as soon as Jungwon reached Riki, he recognizes the pale man on his lap.

"Sunoo...?" Jungwon kneels in front of him, not believing what his eyes can see. He pushes out his hand to check his condition, but was stopped when Riki holds onto his hand.

"He's not here... you don't have to check." Riki had a cracked voice and sounded as though he had just finished sobbing.

"What do you mean? He's immortal, this can't be possible." Jay points out.

"He approached Father and wished for a mortal soul." Riki simply answers.

"Why would he do that?" Jake further questions.

Riki shook his head as tears began piling up his eyes again, "I have no idea, Jake. I have no idea."

Jake pulls Riki to an embrace as he too began to tear up. Everyone was devastated by the loss of a brother; a tough man like Jay even broke into tears.

Jungwon pulls his tears back from pouring out as he lays a palm on Sunoo's chest, "It's time for you to go home, Sunoo." The tip of his fingers began illuminating while he concentrates on the spell that would send Sunoo back to Hell.

When Heesung arrives at the scene, he sees his brothers grieving after one has fallen, he felt guilty for his brothers' anguish, he felt guilty for everything.

He looks up at the sky, as he expected God to answer the questions he began asking, "Why are you letting this happen? No one in this world deserves to experience this, not even us, demons. Your people are dying and you're not doing anything."

Silence.

His Father didn't answer him.

Heesung scoffs at this, "Is this what you wanted? Is this our punishment for leaving Hell because we chose to live a life of our own?!"

Again, no answer.

"You are one selfish god. And a bad Father, not only to us princes, but to every living creation of yours."

"You left us."

-

a/n: this chapter is giving ✨filler✨