Epilogue 2

Epilogue 2:
Old Enough

Julie BrownNew York City, New York

Julie Brown
New York City, New York

Julie sighed, pushing the door of her house before stepping inside, feeling the warmth engulf her. She shut the door behind her, locking it and took off her shoes before she looked around the house.

Julie was currently 18 years old and she'd just got home from her last ever day as a senior, she was becoming an adult and was planning to go study in South Korea and learn about her own heritage. A part of her didn't want to leave Nia alone but she knew that Nia wanted her to spread her wings and reach places where even she couldn't reach and just be happy.

"Hey baby, you cried, didn't you?" Nia peeped her head through the kitchen to see her daughter, she immediacy hurried over to hug her.

Wrapping her arms around her daughter, who was now much taller than her and let Julie cry in her arms. She'd grown up in New York with all these friends, now she would soon be leaving them and it was an emotional experience for her. Julie had become so settled, living a stable life where she had a family that loved her, she could do whatever she wanted without worrying about money or safety.

She was living the life that Salvador would've wanted for her. The life that they'd wanted to live together.

"I know you're gonna miss everyone, my love." Nia whispered to her, rubbing her back in an attempt to soothe her and calm her down as she sobbed.

Nia was now 30 years old, she wasn't old by any means but since her only child was now an adult, it felt her like she could rest. Raising Julie was her greatest achievement, despite becoming a very respectable child psychologist and social worker.

She remembered the first day she took Julie to middle school, how the little girl cried and didn't want to let go of her hand.

She remembered Julie's first time going to her piano session, where she could finally pursue her interests. How her eyes shimmered and the wide grin on her face.

She remembered how she held onto Julie's hand as she got braces, how she hold onto her hand when she got her cast off her leg and how she clutched onto her hand when they went on roller coasters.

Nia had grown to love this little girl like she was her own, heck Julie wasn't so little anymore.

Now she was slipping through her fingers and it was time to tell the truth.

"Let's go to your brother's grave, I have something important to tell you." Nia said pulling away, she tucked Julie's hair behind her ears with a sad smile before walking over at the table to grab her car keys.