013

Chapter Thirteen:
Family

Sakina Joelle DavidsonNew York City, New York

New York City, New York

"I've always wanted piercings but I ain't ever had anyone to do them with." Sakina explained to Nia as they stepped out of her car and began walking to the tattoo shop.

It was currently Tuesday afternoon and Sakina was on her way to get both of her nostrils pierced. She'd already changed her lace front to a bright pink one and she felt like a whole different person. Sakina had always played it safe because she was always under her parents' watchful eye but now that she was free, she could be her true self and this was her.

"I'm just gon' be there for support." Nia patted her back before they both walked in and began explaining what they wanted to the worker.

Trying to distract herself from her own issues, Nia watched Sakina get both piercings and even took videos. She was happy that she was able to support her friend through this first experience of hers, lately, Sakina had been blossoming out of her shell and Nia couldn't be happier for her.

After paying, Sakina and Nia walked over to Burger King and sat inside. They both ordered burgers and slumped into the seats. Sakina was still focused on her piercings but she could tell her friend's energy was a bit low today. Normally, Nia was loud and buzzing with energy...today was not the same.

"Start talking, what's wrong?" Sakina asked, she sipped some Coke as she stared at Nia with worried eyes.

Nia sighed before she explained the events that had happened to her, she watched as Sakina's face morphed from one of shock to disgust and then confusion. Although Nia was raging about the whole Latrell situation, her main issue was the guy that had gotten her number. However, Sakina didn't seem to understand the problem.

"I'm confused, why is it a bad thing that he asked for you number?" She asked, not even eating anymore because of the stress.

"My older brothers are a part of the Rolling 30s Harlem Crips and the guy is clearly a part of the Latin Kings, I could tell by how he was dressed and his chain." Nia began to explain, "They been beefin foh years and the beef is intense. I don't rep like that but I even got a crip tattoo so this shit runs in my blood, you know?"

"I kind of get the idea. So you were left confused as to why he asked for your number?" Sakina asked, trying to piece together everything.

She had always been aware of gang culture because before her father had been the man he was, he'd grown up in Detroit and that shit was rough for him. Sakina wasn't completely sheltered, even in her wealthy life, she'd attempted to educate herself on the struggles that her brothers and sisters were going through daily. However, local gang behaviour was not what she was updated on currently.