038

Chapter Thirty-Eight:
Argumentative

Sakina Joelle Davidson New York City, New York

New York City, New York

"Calm down, you can make a scene later." Naire whispered to Sakina, who was raging as she watched her older sister sit down across from her and Cyrus was across Naire.

Naire held her hand and Sakina tightened her grasp, her grip was so strong that Naire even started to wince but she let her do it because it was the only way she'd calm down. It was better that they didn't argue and ruin their relationship even more, even if it meant silence that was tense for both parties.

Sakina's eyes were glued on Lenora, glaring at her. If eyes could kill, Lenora would've died the second she walked in.

Naire glanced over at Lenora, she seemed uncomfortable but not homophobic at all. Maybe that was something she was very good at hiding.

"I'm so happy we are all here together." Makena said, she was sat at the end of the table and Curtis was on the other end.

The table fit exactly six people without the high char but was spacious enough for Ebony to fit in beside Naire. Luckily, Naire had offered to feed Ebony because she could tell that Sakina wouldn't be up for it right now. There was no guessing where the night was headed.

"Let's start eating." Curtis coughed slightly before grabbing a fork and beginning to eat their starter, feeling irritated by the tension between his daughters.

"I'm Lenora and this is my fiancé, Cyrus. It's nice to meet you." Lenora broke the silence, smiling at Naire, who simply smiled back.

"I'm Naire, this is my daughter, Ebony." Naire responded, she was being as kind as she could because she wanted Makena and Curtis to like her, she knew how important this was for Sakina.

"How old is Ebony?" Cyrus asked, waving at the little girl who waved back.

"She's 2, turning 3 next month." Makena said excitedly, it was clear that she already adored Ebony with the way she kept waving and smiling at the baby.

"She's adorable." Lenora finally said, looking down as she took and prawn then placed it in her mouth.

"Apparently not adorable enough to have at your wedding though." Sakina mumbled but since it was so quiet, only the music playing, the whole group heard her.

Lenora sighed while Cyrus simply rubbed her back, ignoring the comment made by her younger sister. She wanted to talk to Sakina after the dinner, she didn't want to ruin Naire's first dinner with the family.

"Sakina, don't." Naire said to her, turning to face Ebony and handing her a prawn to play around and chew on.

"No, why not?" Sakina said, she turned her head to face her sister, "Why are you acting so nice all of a sudden?"

"Months ago, you looked at me like I was some pest and talked about Ebony and Naire as if they were my luggage that I could just leave at home." Sakina spoke, her tone dripping with venom. She was enraged but keeping herself composed very well.

"Lenora, you broke my heart to the point where I couldn't even get out of bed, now you think you can get away with not even saying anything?" Sakina shot up, "Hell no."

"I'm sorry, Sakina. I was ignorant. I want to make amends." Lenora stood up, looking at her sister with yearning eyes.

Sakina stared into her eyes for a few seconds before sitting back down.

"Leave. I want this memory of Naire and Ebony meeting mom and dad to be positive. If you want to make amends, get out." Sakina said, even while angry she was careful not to swear because she didn't want Ebony to pick up any foul language.

"But-" Lenora tried to say but Sakina cut her off, "Your last chance, get out."

Lenora looked around before getting up, waiting for Cyrus then walking out of the dining hall, the click of her heels got quieter and quieter as she walked further and further, until you couldn't even hear them anymore.

"The fucking audacity." Sakina mumbled to herself, fixing her hair before pulling her chair forward and getting back to eating.

"Shall we get back to eating then?"
She asked her parents softly, they'd both been watching with no comment.

Makena and Curtis couldn't defend Lenora because her homophobia was something that they didn't understand, yet they didn't want to shun their eldest daughter out. It seemed that they'd just have to keep the sisters as far away as possible from each other.

-XX-

"When you scored that three pointer, I knew that it was over!" Naire shouted as she had liquor with Curtis, they were talking about his NBA days as they sat in the lounge. Curtis laughed, enjoying the fact that Naire was a super fan of his.

"That was in the first half of the game! You just saying that to win me over." Curtis smacked Naire's back as a joke, the two laughed as they continued their debate on his career.

Sakina and Makena were sitting in the kitchen, enjoying some Salted Caramel ice cream and feeding Ebony some. She could tell that Ebony had caught her mother's eye, she was carrying Ebony like she was her own child.

"You know, when you told me you were lesbian, I was worried about grandkids." Makena said softly, making Sakina look up at her curiously.

"But you met someone who gave me an automatic grandchild and I couldn't be happier." Makena squealed, her grin was so wide that Sakina thought she'd never stop.

"Plus there's technology nowadays, whatever you two need, we'll be there." Makena patted Sakina lovingly, reassuring her daughter.

"Kids wise, I can promise you, we won't need any technology." Sakina smiled to herself, which only made Makena confused.

"But I do have a proposition." Sakina said seriously, which made Makena realise that this was a serious topic.

"I want the family lawyers to handle something for me, it'll be a big case and it'll cost some money." Sakina said, "I'd really like some help."

Curtis and Makena always had a rule, when things got legal, the girls had to give something in return so they didn't get too spoilt. Sakina knew that this was the case here too, she'd have to promise her mother something incredibly valuable for this.

"I'll let you train me to take over MKD." Sakina finally said, which shocked Makena.

She'd always wanted Sakina to take over her fashion empire but her daughter had always refused, the fact that she now wanted to, nothing could make her happier. A grin appeared back on her face as she bounced up and down to keep Ebony calm.

"Use the lawyers as much as you want. Your training will start next year." Makena smirked, she'd always known that Sakina was the perfect heir. Lenora didn't have a business brain, she also had no desire to work anymore, she was planning to be a housewife.

"Also Sakina, we love Naire. You couldn't have found a better partner." Makena finally said, making Sakina sigh in relief, "I'm proud of how far you've come honey."