034

Chapter Thirty-Four:
Auditory Hallucinations

Chapter Thirty-Four:Auditory Hallucinations

Nia Brown
New York City, New York

Nia shot up from her bed, sweat trickling down her forehead. She was panting, clutching her chest as she tried to catch her breath and recover from her nightmare. Worst thing was, she couldn't tell herself it wasn't real, because it was. She'd killed him. And it was haunting her every night.

Every time she shut her eyes, even just to blink, she'd seen his pain stricken face as he fell to the ground, coughing blood and reaching for her. That final embrace between them, even though she had been the one to pull the trigger, constantly replayed in the back of her mind. His eyes held no resentment, he was smiling and his arms clung so tightly on Nia's t-shirt as they hugged. It was clear that Salvador hadn't been begging for Nia to save his life or call an ambulance, he'd wanted to die.

He looked relieved.

How much struggle must one go through that when faced with death, all they can do is smile with excitement? Smile with relief that their pain is finally over. That they fought and lost, that they accept the defeat with open arms.

Nia pulled on some black leggings and a black zip-up hoodie before stepping out to her car. She turned on the engine and drove, it was 4am in the middle of the night but her head had never felt more clearly about where she was going.

Parking some distance away, Nia grabbed the liquor bottle and began walking along
Brooklyn Bridge, the sound of the water below her playing softly. She remembered the exact spot they'd met, just as she got there, she found someone sitting there, clearly freezing.

Nia slumped down and sat beside them, staring over the railing and watched as the moon shined over the waters. She didn't say anything, allowing the music playing in her head phones to do all the talking. All she did was sit and breathe, this was the only place she felt he was there.

Although Nia admittedly never knew Salvador, she didn't know his favourite colour, his aspirations. Heck, she didn't know his middle name.

All she knew was that he was a broken young man and she'd come when he'd needed her. All she knew was that he was a kind man, he'd looked and searched for her just to simply say thank you. All Nia knew was that he was a fighter, who'd tried to keep her safe, despite him being powerless.

Nia didn't love Salvador but love wasn't the only powerful emotion in this world. Nia understood Salvador, she felt connected to him. Since that fateful day, they'd been linked whether or not they liked it or knew it.

Maybe he'd still be alive if she hadn't pushed him away?

Maybe he'd still be alive if he hadn't met her?

No. No way. If Salvador hadn't met Nia, he would've died at the age of 13 from suicide.

The deeply colored night sky,
your image that can't leave,
After it has woken me from my sleep
It is kissing me again,
Your voice,

If Salvador had met Nia, he would die at the age of 19. Either way, Salvador was destined to die young.

You're hidden in a place where I can't see you,
The pain you received for me,
When my anger becomes one,
I'll chase the lost memories from the deep sleep,

How ironic, the same person Salvador proclaimed as his healer and saviour, was the same person who'd later become his killer and injustice.

Don't go far away, I call out to you
In the sadness that I can't ever see again
Tears fall again

It was clear to Nia now that Salvador had never really healed from his depression and suicidal tendencies, he'd only been prolonging something that was bound to happen.

"What's happened to you?" A soft voice spoke out, stopping the tears that were rolling down Nia's eyes. It was the small figure sitting beside her, the one she'd ignored.

"I lost someone." Nia said, trying to wipe the tears away but they were still trickling down.

"Don't be too sad, my brother always says that pain is something everyone deals with and that we just have to keep fighting." She said, looking at Nia, who had turned to face her.

Beside Nia was a young Asian girl, she had short hair with stunning eyes. Her smile was innocent as she looked at Nia before turning ahead. The short hair covered her face slightly while her pale skin glistened in the night. She couldn't be older than the age of 8 and her clothes were slightly ragged.

"Well, your brother sounds very smart." Nia said sniffling, she couldn't cry in front of a child.

"He is. He's the reason I'm still here." The little girl said with a small smile, her eyes glistening with tears.

"He protects me. Does bad things just to keep me safe." She continued, then sighed. "Sometimes he gets hurt because of me."

Nia simply listened, maybe this bridge had a tendency to draw in those who were struggling.

"If it's to protect you, he probably thinks it's worth it." Nia shrugged, her brother sounded honourable.

"He promised me he'd meet me here and we'd be able to move away, where he didn't have to do bad things to protect me. Where we could both be happy." She said with a big smile, her eyes twinkled with hole and excitement.

Nia noticed the rips on her clothes and the bruises and scars on her exposed skin, she could feel the sadness.

"What's your name and your brother's name?" Nia asked.

"I'm Julie." The little girl said with a smile, "and my older brother is Salvador."

I want to gather the darkness
and find you,
Though I can't touch
or be held by you.

-XX-
Julie?