007

Chapter Seven:
New Job

Sakina Joelle DavidsonNew York City, New York

New York City, New York

Rubbing her eyes, Sakina got up from her bed and walked into the bathroom. She pulled off her bonnet to take a look at her lace front before deciding that she should take it out soon. After yawning and stretching, she turned on the shower and waited for the water to get hot before stepping inside.

Today was a great, gloomy Saturday and also the first day of work, ever. She'd managed to get herself a job at a corner shop five minutes away from her apartment block. Sakina knew that since it was family-owned, it would be a lot more relaxed, which was exactly what she needed.

Done with her hygiene, she pulled on a grey tracksuit with a maroon tank top underneath, while pairing it with black shoes. She tied her hair up in a low ponytail, fixed up her edges and make up before grabbing a small purse and heading out.

Nerves bundled up as Sakina locked the door of her apartment and even while she hurried down the stairs. This was the first time she'd ever done this and she was scared as hell. Taking deep breaths, Sakina crossed the busy street and speed walked to her place of of work.

-XX-

"I'll be supervising you for this coming week but after that, you gon' be on yo own." Nia explained, glancing at Sakina to make sure that she understood.

Nia's parents ran the corner store but she was explaining everything to Sakina because they thought she'd be more comfortable with someone her own age. She was a nice enough girl with a model like face.

Her eyes were feline-like, while her skin was smooth, buttery and a beautiful brown. She had a perfect row of teeth and her lips were glossy as she talked. Nia wasn't overly tall, she was around 5'6, her legs mainly being the reason she was that tall.

"Okay, I think I understand." Sakina nodded slowly, she would be restocking the shelves while Nia did the till but they'd switch every three hours.

Nia smiled before walking up to the till and standing there while Sakina began to restock, making sure nothing was expired. She put on her airpods and listened to, 'Teenage Fever' by Drake as she packed everything up. Randomly mouthing the lyrics.

Eventually, it came time for her to be behind the till, which she wasn't excited for but she went regardless. She stood there while Nia scrolled her phone beside her, she'd promised to be with her for a while so that she could get comfortable.

"Where you study at?" Nia randomly asked, looking up from her phone and curiously at Sakina.

"Columbia, I'm studying law." Sakina said, "What about you?"