043

Chapter Fourty-Three:
Loss

Naire CarterNew York City, New York

Naire Carter
New York City, New York

It had been exactly two weeks since the incident, Sakina had been home for a week. She tried to carry on like normal but it was clear as day that she was just a shell of her former self. Naire would watch her with careful eyes as Sakina forced that happy facade, whenever she'd try to talk to her about the miscarriage, Sakina would get defensive.

They had lost one foetus, the other was healthy and developing normally. Had the twins been identical, they most likely would've lost both of them.

"Should we eat out today?" Naire asked Sakina, who was slumped on her bed while scrolling through her phone with a blank expression.

"Yeah." Sakina turned with a smile, before facing her phone again while Naire left the room to go tend to Ebony, who was dancing to her favourite theme song.

There was some tension that hung in the apartment—heck it was around Sakina. She didn't acknowledge the miscarriage at all. Naire had initially thought that she'd break down but not even a single tear was shed, she was all fine. Although she'd planned to be strong for Sakina, Naire ended up crying and was in the process of mourning their unborn child. Although the embryo was too early to be considered a foetus, they'd still wanted both kids which made the pain unbearable.

Naire picked up the call that came through on her phone and walked to the kitchen, planning to prepare some food for both Sakina and Ebony. She smiled when she heard Makena's voice, someone who was equally as worried about Sakina and how she was coping.

"Hey, Ma." Naire said, she pulled out some fruits out of the fridge before beginning to wash them.

"She still hasn't said a word about it. She's acting like she's all okay but I can tell she's not. Sakina's all closed off again." Naire revealed to Makena, who was incredibly worried about her last born. She'd been trying not to overwhelm Sakina by coming to the apartment but she was dying with worry.

"I can get Ebony ready, she's always happy to see you." Naire grinned even more, hearing Makena excited to see her grand baby.

"She'll be ready in thirty." Naire said, "Okay bye, ma."

Hanging up the phone, Naire chopped up the fruits before walking over to their bedroom and placing a bowl next to Sakina, who was still on her phone. Then she walked over to Ebony and placed the bowl on the sofa, then sat her down before she fed her.

-XX-

After waving at Ebony, who was picked up by Sergio to be taken to the Davidson Estate, Naire went back upstairs. She walked into the bedroom to see Sakina fast asleep with the phone still playing whatever video she was watching. Sighing, she turned off all the lights in the apartment and slipped into bed with her. She turned off her phone and took off the uncomfortable hoodie she had on, then placed her head on her chest, rubbing Sakina's head as she slept.

Naire stared at her with love and adoration but there was also a hint of sadness and worry. Sakina's fear of vulnerability was sprouting it's head once again, at the worst time. Miscarriages were difficult, especially if the mother was attached and wanted the baby.

Since Sakina wouldn't let her talk about it, Naire decided to take this chance while she was aslee. To finally express her own pent up emotions.

"I'm glad you're asleep cuh I can finally say this. Losing one of our babies was hard, ya know? It was a shit thing to deal with, especially since it was only your first trimester but ion want you to feel like it was yo fault in anyway." Naire whispered, she spoke so lowly that she could even barely hear herself but this needed to be said.

"I hope we can get to a place where we can talk about him/her and not ignoring our loss. I know it's harder on you since it's yo first pregnancy, but I hope you ain't taking it too hard. You one of the strongest people I know but please don't feel like you gotta be strong right na."

"I'm tired of crying alone." Naire said, a tear rolling down her own face. "I wish I had the right words to make you feel better but ion even know what to say. I can't even think about anything else right now." She cried, wiping her own tears quickly. She didn't want to wake Sakina up.

Slowly pulling away, Naire stood up and was about to walk away from the bed but she could feel someone hold onto the hem of her shirt, she turned to see a crying Sakina. Tears welled up in her eyes as she held on. Naire rushed over to hug her, they clung to one tightly.

If the world forgot to turn around again,
And the winter never knew to turn to spring,
Wouldn't mean a thing,
We could still be happy.

Naire no longer felt alone, the burden on her shoulders lightened as she felt someone cry just as much as her. She felt understood in her pain, her loss and her grief. It was such a weird thing to mourn someone they hadn't even met but the cut ran deep.

If the stars no longer shone,
And the breeze died down,
You and I,
We could still be happy.

"I-I'm sorry I lost the baby, Nai." Sakina sobbed, making Naire pull away and face her.

"It ain't yo fault, don't apologise to me." Naire consoled her, "don't ever say that shit to me again."

"Maybe if I was more careful, or ate better, or if I'd just stayed home. Maybe they'd still be here." Sakina rambled, tears and snot running down her face.

"No. No. You heard the doctors. It was inevitable. The egg was placed in an unstable place, it wouldn't have made a difference." Naire whispered, placing kisses all over her face. It tore her heart to hear Sakina blame herself.

"You were amazing."

This whole time she'd thought she was at fault.

The fallen rain may wash our home away,
But we remain protected,
Just the same,
Always.

They'd deal with this loss together. This would be a journey and Naire would be with Sakina, every step of the way.

-XX-
Could still be happy.