031

Chapter Thirty-One:
Moon

Naire CarterNew York City, New York

Naire Carter
New York City, New York

Naire was on her weekly grocery drop off, she parked the car and grabbed the groceries before walking towards the door. She placed them down right on the porch and just as she was about to walk away, she saw the dot slightly ajar. Feeling that something wasn't right, Naire pushed the door open and walked inside, she looked around and it was a mess.

Needles on the floor, alcohol bottles and even cigarettes. She sighed as she walked around, it wasn't that she'd expected Dave to change but man did this shit hurt to see. Stepping over them, she walked over to the kitchen she saw some legs and as she walked around the counter, she found Dave flat on the floor with foam coming out of her mouth.

Screaming, Naire ran to him and pulled out her phone before calling 911. She sobbed as she spoke to the paramedic, feeling her heart race as she tried to wake her father up. Her wails echoed through the house, her arms clutching onto Dave's body until the ambulance came.

How could she leave her drug addicted father alone in his time of need?

-XX-

"I came as soon as I heard." Sakina panted, pushing Ebony's pram as she hurried but she saw that Kya was there pacing around with her arms crossed while Troy talked to a sniffling Naire.

Naire shot up when she saw Sakina and pulled her into a hug, bending slightly because of the height difference. She began to cry all over again, feeling Sakina's comforting presence pull the emotions out of her. A part of her felt guilty, had she still been staying with Dave, maybe it wouldn't have been that bad but she knew it would have. Naire had tried to get him into rehab on multiple accounts and he refused each time.

"I'm here, my love." Sakina whispered, rubbing her back while Naire continued to cry. Her heart shattered with every tear that coated her shoulder, she'd never seen Naire this broken down before and it scared her.

Troy stood beside Kya and hugged her before walking up and rubbing Naire's back.

"Unc gon pull through, Naire. Have faith." He attempted to calm her down, Naire eventually pulled away and wiped her tears away.

Slumping down on the seat, watching as Ebony slept. She rested her head on Sakina's shoulder who was sitting beside her, feeling her eyes throb because she'd cried so much. As they all sat there in silence, Naire eventually fell asleep on Sakina. Her soft breaths continued as Sakina put her head on her thighs so that her neck wouldn't hurt then proceeded to careless her head, soothing her in her sleep.

"So what happened?" She asked.

Troy looked up and sat straight before replying, "They saying he OD'ed on something." Troy explained, watching as Kya walked off, probably to get some coffee.

Troy sighed before rubbing his own face, he looked stressed and this wasn't his father. Sakina couldn't even imagine how Naire felt, she simply stayed quiet and waited for the doctor to come, it would be hours until they got any news with how busy it was in the ER.

-XX-

"Go home, Ebony's tired of being here." Naire groaned as she stretched, they'd spent the whole night here and still no news.

Sakina yawned as she shook her head, she didn't want to leave Naire alone in her time of need, she wanted to be here every step of the way.

"One of us gotta be strong for Ebony right na and it can't be me, baby." Naire said softly, rubbing the tears from her eyes before looking away. Her eyes were red and puffy as she looked at the doors, waiting for a doctor to walk through with some news about Dave.

"Call me if anything happens." Sakina added.

Naire nodded, Sakina patted Naire's back before getting up. She stared at her lover for a second before pushing Ebony's pram away, feeling her heart ache as she did so. Sakina knew that Naire was right but it didn't stop her from being in pain.

After putting Ebony in her car seat, she drove to Chic-Fil-A and ordered some food before driving home. She took Ebony inside, washed her and changed her before feeding her. Sakina sat beside her on the sofa as she ate silently, it was so quiet without Naire. The energy had shifted and Sakina didn't know how to feel about it.

Ebony walked off to the bedroom and laid in bed, Sakina followed her and joined her. The two girls slept in the same bed, Sakina rubbed Ebony's small back and drew shapes on her to make her fall asleep while she was deep in thought on what to do. At times like this, all she wanted to do was call Lenora but that wasn't an option anymore and Makena was currently in Paris.

Her eyes eventually became heavy but just as she was about to sleep, she could feel her phone vibrate and she jumped up to get it. She looked to see that it was Sergio and she answered.

"Yes?" Sakina asked tiredly.

"He's dead." Sergio said grimly, it was silent wherever he was and Sakina sighed, she didn't know who he was talking about.

"Who's dead, Sergio?" Sakina asked, still half asleep. She tucked herself back in the sheets and comfortably laid there, ready to fall asleep as soon as the call was over.

"Salvador." Sergio revealed, making Sakina shoot up from her bed and sit up straight, "And he left you a message."

"What's the message?" She asked, feeling her heart begin to speed up, it felt as if it would leap out of her throat. Nothing was going smoothly and she could feel the panic begin to build up.

"He said that you should look for Julie." Sergio stated, leaving Sakina puzzled. "I don't understand what he means by that."

"Me neither." Sakina said then she paused, "Unless."

"Unless what?" He asked.

"Unless that's the leverage they had on him." Sakina said, feeling her heart sink. She felt like this was going to get a lot more complicated now that Salvador was dead. And even worse.

How was Nia going to react?

-XX-
Sigh.