016

Chapter Sixteen:
In the open

Sakina Joelle Davidson New York City, New York

New York City, New York

Sakina sighed as she made eye contact with her mother, whose gaze had shifted from an excited one to a curious one. She glanced at Naire before they walked towards her, feeling the nerves bubble up in the pit of her stomach.

"I'm Makena, it's nice to meet you." Makena reached her hand out to Naire, who grabbed it and shook it with a friendly face.

Although this seemed like a good start, Sakina knew her mother well enough to know that she'd never be rude someone up front. Through all her years in the fashion world, Makena had developed that skill and cultivated it to the point where she could take anything and you wouldn't even see it in her eyes. She had learned how to be truly unreadable.

"I'm Naire, a friend of your daughter." Naire explained as they both retracted their hands, she was careful on what to say because she knew this was dangerous ground.

"Naire, could I please have a moment with my daughter, please?" Makena asked kindly, "I haven't seen her in a long time." She finished off, the last statement dripping in poison.

Sakina said goodbye to Ebony before handing her to Naire, she watched as they walked away and shut the door of their apartment behind them. Without even looking at her mother, Sakina unlocked the door and walked in before waiting for her to enter, then she shut it and locked it.

Makena simply matched her daughter's energy, she had a lot to say but right now wasn't the right time. She simply walked over to the living room and gracefully sat down before placing her questioning gaze on Sakina, who was taking a chug of some water.

Sakina stared at her mama nervously, she knew that Naire and her looked like they were in a relationship. It was as clear as day.

"So you got yourself a new family, that's why you can't visit your mom just once?" Makena asked, folding her arms over her chest as she glared at her daughter.

Sakina laughed nervously, "Mama, I've just been so busy. You know you guys are my number one."

Makena stared at her daughter before standing up and looking around. She ruffled through the fridge, the cabinets and even the bin. She was adamant on making sure that Sakina was living comfortably. Worst of all, she even checked all the other rooms in very close detail.

Quietly wondering, Sakina followed her mother. She didn't understand why her mom didn't address the Naire situation, it was beginning to make her panic. Even though she didn't know if her mother had pieced it together, Sakina knew enough about Makena to confidently say that the chances of her knowing were higher than her not.

"So, you're not gonna speak on it?" Sakina spoke softly, keeping herself as far away as possible while still observing her mama.

Makena sighed as she stood in her daughter's bedroom, looking around to see what was happening. She was proud that Sakina had been saving up money because she'd paid for all this furniture herself, the card her parents gave her had not been used.

"Speak on what?" Makena turned around, sat on the bed and stared at her youngest daughter.

"What you saw outside?" Sakina mumbled.

"What did I see?" Makena asked, raising an eyebrow. She wanted Sakina to just be straight up and say it, there was no point in assuming.

"My girl and her kid." Sakina spoke up, although her voice was shaky, she'd said it out loud.

"What's there to speak on?" Makena asked, "I've always known you were lesbian, baby."

Sakina's eyes widened, she thought she'd managed to keep it a good secret. She'd never told anyone and had always made sure no one figured out anything she was doing. How could her mother have known?

"When you were 13, you wrote in your diary that the new girl was beautiful and she made you feel butterflies." Makena revealed, shrugging as if she didn't car, "I told your dad and we just concluded that you'd tell us when you were ready."

Sakina sighed, she was so embarrassed right now but the one feeling that overruled the embarrassment was happiness.

"So you guys don't care?" Sakina questioned, she needed to hear her mama say it.

"We don't care as long as they treat you right." Makena smiled. Then the smile dropped, "But I do care about how you don't be returning my calls or FaceTimes anymore."

Sakina sat beside her mother on the bed and pulled her into a hug, she inhaled the scent of her mother that she'd loved for years. Tears welled up in her eyes as she just embraced her. Makena simply rubbed her daughter's back as she sobbed, she could understand why this was such a big deal for her. Working in the fashion industry, she was exposed to a whole lot of different sexualities, she knew that sexualities didn't mean nothing at all.

"I love and care for you. Just please come visit us when you're free." Makena whispered to her, calming her down, "And don't feel bad about using the card that your dad and I gave you, we worked hard to give our kids a good lifestyle. If you don't spend the money, who will?"

"Okay, Mama." Sakina said, her voice was breaking because she was still crying.

Just like her family had always told her, Sakina believed that they really would always be there for her.

-XX-

"How did it go?" Naire asked worriedly, she had a blunt in her hand as she held the door open for Sakina to walk in.

"They always knew but they was waiting on me to tell them. They both don't care." Sakina smiled, a huge weight was lifted off her shoulders and Naire grinned as she pulled her into a tight hug.

"I'm so happy for you, Sakina." Naire revealed as they rocked side by side.

Naire pulled away and looked at with a small smile, her eyes were glossy because she was high. Sakina couldn't keep eye contact for long so she eventually looked away, making Naire chuckle. Wrapping her hand over Sakina's shoulder, Naire walked with her to the living room before going to the balcony to finish her blunt.

"Have you come out to your parents?" Sakina asked, she was careful with her question because you never knew people's backgrounds.

"Yeah, I  got the chance to come out to my mama and my pops." Naire said shortly, she blew out the smoke as she stared at the night sky, feeling the cold air nip at her exposed skin.

Sakina could tell this was a heavy topic so she stood beside her as she smoked and they just talked. Talking about music, food and just their dreams. Just any topic that floated around, they talked about it until it was time to sleep.

Feeling tired, Sakina went to her own apartment to sleep while Naire went to her bedroom. She'd wanted to ask her to stay but she didn't know if it was too early.

After all, they had all the time in the world to get to know each other.