003

Chapter Three:
New Us

Naire CarterNew York City, New York

Naire Carter
New York City, New York

Naire looked out the window to see the girl that she'd argued with this morning, walking with a huge group of girls. Smiles were painted on their faces as they laughed, at first she was envious of the girl. She looked as if she was surrounded by friends and people who cared.

However, after staring at her for a bit longer, Naire quickly realised that the smile on the girl's face was fake. She could always spot the fake smiles away because she'd experienced a similar feeling herself. Masking your emotions because you feel that there is nothing else for you to do.

She shook her head before moving on, she had bigger things to worry about. Naire put on the song, 'Ungrateful' by Central Cee as she drove home. The song filled her car as her journey began and she pulled out of Comumbia University.

I don't wanna seem ungrateful God,
But I don't wanna be here,
I got some things to get off my chest,
But maybe Its best I keep it a secret,

Naire began to rap along while bobbing her head, slowly allowing the song to consume her mind. She'd always had a soft spot for rap that talked about real life struggles, not the rap that was for flexing, sex and thugging out.

31st December, the 1st of Jan
Same shit, I don't care bout the new year,
New house somewhere that ain't poverty driven,
It's mad in the place that I grew in

Her heart ached as she rapped lyrics, she felt what he was saying in her spirit. Naire's main aim was to leave the hood behind her and run, the grass truly was greener on the other side. As she drove further into the south of New York, the building became less extravagant and the road became rougher and harsher to drive on.

I got a family tree to feed,
I see dead people in my sleep,
I see broke people on the feed,
Talk is cheap freedom of speech, I guess

Eventually, her house came into view and she pulled up into the driveway. Her heart became heavy as she stepped out, hiding her books and laptop in the boot. Rushing, she placed a thick blanket over them and hid them away.

Brushing herself up, she shut her boot and simply walked into the house, using her keys for unlock the doors. She stepped inside and the smell of weed, crack and trash attacked her nose. Kissing her teeth, she walked into the smoke house trying to get to her room.

"Naire, get yo butt over here!" Dave, her adoptive father, shouted from the backyard.

Naire dragged her feet as she walked over to the outside, sighing as she saw him smoking crack. Her eyes narrowed at him while he gestured for her to get closer to him, which she did because she knew exactly what he was going to ask for.

"You can't get yo daddy a little 3.5?" He asked into her ear because his throat was nearly gone from cigarettes, alcohol and all the drugs you could possibly find.

"Clean up the house and imma get you some after I get Ebony." She sighed as she stood up straight and waited for him to stand up and begin to clean up.

Dave had adopted Naire when she was 12 years old, at a time when no one wanted a black daughter. He was perfect for the first two years, then it all went downhill when his wife died and he was left to care for her all by himself. Drugs dug their nails into him and they never left him alone after that one fateful try.

He wasn't a great person to have around Ebony. Dave was by no means abusive, he was just an addict who couldn't be trusted around a one year old. Naire knew that Ebony couldn't live here but she couldn't abandon the only parent that hadn't left her after they'd found out the truth about her.

Naire wanted to leave, she'd finally saved up enough but what about Dave?

"Also, where you been at all day?" Dave grumbled behind her as they walked inside the house, their steps echoing because of how empty the house was.

"I been with Troy'nem." She lied, walking towards the door.

Naire knew that if Dave found her law books and laptop, he'd sell them without a second thought for drug money. She couldn't risk it so she hid them in the car but that wasn't safe either.

As she watched him pack up, she felt her heart crack a bit because she knew what she was doing.

Naire wasn't ever coming back.

"I love you, Dave." She said before pulling him into a tight hug, he simply let her before they separated.

As Naire walked towards the door, she opened it but Dave shouted something that made her freeze in her spot.

"You ain't comin' back are you?" He shouted as much as he could. There was no hostility laced in his voice, it was just a question.

Naire simply shook her head no, looked around at what used to be her childhood home and walked off, shutting the door behind her.

-XX-

Naire knocked on the door before folding her arms, she waited for a second. Looking around the area, the scent of weed lingered in the whole area but she just ignored it.

The door opened after a few shuffles were heard, Mrs Kingston opened the door with baby Ebony in her hands.

"Hey, Mrs Kingston. Thank you for taking her for today." Naire smiled as she saw her daughter, she reached over while Ebony clung to Mrs Kingston.

"Don't worry 'bout it. She's just used to me, spend a bit more time with her and she'll open up." Mrs Kingston explained.

Mrs Kingston was a darkskin, Jamaican lady that took care of most of the kids for a small fee. Most of her own children were grown so she did it to fill that hole that they left which made her trustworthy. Ebony was practically raised by Mrs Kingston because Naire was busy getting money to secure them for a while.

"Come on, baby girl. It's Mama." Naire said to Ebony softly, she smiled when her baby girl finally reached for her and she took her in her arms.

"Good luck on your journey, Naire." Mrs Kingston told her with a small smile, she'd always been Naire's biggest supporter in her plan to leave the hood.

"Thank you. Thank you for everything." Naire said before walking over to her car while Mrs Kingston shut her door.

Holding Ebony, Naire walked over to her car and opened the back seat, then proceeded to place her baby daughter on the car seat. She buckled her up and kissed her chubby cheeks before walking up to the driver's seat and sliding into the car.

Glancing back at her daughter, Naire reminded herself of the reason why she did everything she did. It was all for her. She smiled at her daughter, who returned it with a huge smile before she started the car and began to drive them to their new apartment.

Naire pulled up to the apartment block which was thirty minutes away from her childhood home, due to the New York traffic.

They'd finally left.