CHAPTER TWENTY

The whole office looked like a tornado  happened in it. Papers are scattered in every corner. The glass table where I usually keep the food on is shattered into pieces.
The big mahogany desk in the middle of the office too was littered with papers and pen too.

In the middle of all this mess I found my boss sitting on his chair working on his laptop. He looked very tired and stressed on like his usual self.

“Miss Umar what are you doing here I thought I told you to wait for my call” he asked me without looking up from what he was doing.

I walked to a chair thrown in a corner and picked it. I placed the tray I was carrying on it before turning to my boss.

“Good morning Sir. I don’t like been paid for work I did not do that’s why I am here and its obvious my service is been needed in this mess you made” I gestured around the office.

“Miss Umar leave and go back home and wait for my call” he told me. still not looking up.

I bent and started picking up the papers on the floor and sorting them.

“Miss Umar” he warned.

“What Abdulrahim are you going to fire me for not listening to what you say or are you going to make my family pay for it. Look I don’t care what you will do but for now let me do my job.” “please” I added while looking him in the eye.

We did a staring contest for a minute until he gave up.

He stood up a carried his laptop. “Fine I will be in your office when you are done tell me” he walked out.

I smiled in triumph. I couldn’t help but notice that he have lost some weight.
I wonder what is wrong with him. He may have forced me to work for him. But I have learnt to know he is a good man deep down but he is still arrogant. And I like working for him.

I knocked on the door. It feels weird knocking before going into my office.
I did not wait for him to tell me to go in.
“What is it again Miss Umar” he asked angrily.

“Sir I brought you food” I placed the tray before him.
“And Sir please eat” I added before walking out.
I went back to his office to wait for the cleaners I called. To come help me remove the broken glasses.

Before you know it the office was clean. I had to order a new set of center table and other things that he broke.
I wonder what is wrong with Mr Muhammad. I thought of calling Yusuf to tell him, but I wanted to respect his privacy.
I called Ibrahim to enquire why he was not at work and he told me he took his annually leave last week.

It has been hours since I left Mr Muhammad in my office. I want to give him some space it seem he needed it. But now I have to go in there and get my hijab . It’s time for zuhr prayer and I need it.
I knocked gently on the door this time around before opening it.
He was praying in the corner of the office.
I smiled and open the drawer I keep the hijab. I closed the door gently and went to his office to pray.

I decided to sit in Mr Muhammad office and do some work. Many unanswered emails and pending work where to be done.
The time flew by. It was time for me to close for the day. I decided to check on Mr Muhammad before leaving. He was not where I left him it seems he left already.
………………………………………………………………………………..
I knocked on the CEOs office like yesterday he did not give me permission to go in.
It seems the furniture I ordered yesterday have been delivered and arranged.
I placed the tray for breakfast I am carrying on the table.

He is not in yet. I checked my watch. I think he will be here in thirty minutes.
I decided to sit on Ibrahim’s desk . The work was much since I would be doing Ibrahim’s work until he comes back.
I got so caught up in replying emails and scheduling meetings. I checked the time again and saw it had been two hours and Mr Muhammad is not yet at work.

I know him to never come to work late, maybe he went for a meeting.
Before I knew it it was time for me to go home, it seems he is not coming today.

Today is Friday again and he is still not work. The last time I saw him was on Monday. I talked to Yusuf yesterday about him and he told me his girlfriend of almost six years broke up with him. That I should give him sometime.
I lied to Yusuf and told him he had been coming to work late. I did not want to worry him since he traveled to Lagos for work
…………………………………………….
I wonder who is disturbing my sleep on a Saturday morning. Everybody at home know better not to wake me up on a Saturday morning because it’s the only day I sleep in.

“Laura open the door ” I heard Inna’s voice.
I stood up and opened the door while mumbling why she is disturbing my sleep.

She passed my phone to me.

“If you know you want to sleep without been disturbed you should have charged your phone in your room not my room.

Your phone have been ringing for a while”
She hissed and went out.

“I wonder why somebody will still be sleeping by 2pm” I overhead her complain to somebody who I am very sure its Anty Sa’a.

I checked my phone and saw 6 missed call from Yusuf. Why is Yusuf calling me.
He called again before I could call him.

“Laura why have you not been picking my calls too” he sounded worried.
“Yusuf I was sleeping, and what do you mean too. who else is not picking your calls” I told him while still feeling sleepy.

“Its Abdulrahim, he has not been picking my call since yesterday and his phone is switched off today. And I am worried”

“Maybe he is still sleeping” I sounded more awake now
“No Laura Abdulrahim never oversleep.

That’s why I  am worried. You know he have been down lately”
“Maybe I should try calling him too” I added.
“No Laura, you are the only person I can call without getting everybody worried. Please can you go check up on him” he pleaded.

“Haba Yusuf you don’t need to ask, I just have to take my bath now I will call you when I get there” I told him.
He thanked me before hanging up the call.

The security at the gate to Abdulrahim’s house let me in. he knew me for all the time I use to come here.
I turned the knob to the front door and surprisingly it is open.
Why is everywhere dark in here. While it is bright outside.

Thank god I remember where the switch is.
“What are you doing here” was the first thing I had when the light came on.