CHAPTER SEVEN

Inna’s POV:

I made a promise which I most fulfill to my granddaughter no matter what it cost.
Alhaji tanko promised to bring the money for the house and farm I sold to him today. I just pray he does not bring the money late because today is the last day I have to save my granddaughter from that death trap called marriage.
I have sold every valuable thing I have in the house and also collected the money I saved with the thrift collector. When people started asking questions I told them I wanted to buy things for my granddaughter to take to her husbands house.
Only Mlm surajo Aisha’s father knows that I sold the house to Alhaji tanko. He was there as a witness.
The money I gathered together with the money Alhaji Tanko is bringing today, I know it will be enough for Laura and I to start a new life somewhere far away from here.
Alhaji tanko brought the money by noon when laura was sleeping. I thanked him and told him after I leave he should give away the things in the house which I could not sell.
He asked me where I was going and I told him I have no idea but it has to be somewhere faraway where Salisu and his men cannot find us.
He wished me goodluck and we bade farewell before he left.

I went into the room and woke up laura who was sleeping. ‘laura na [my laura] wake up we need to talk’. Laura woke up and looked at me. I know she is still feeling sleepy because she did not sleep last night.
I sat on the mat which she was sleeping and placed her head on my lap I started massaging her head. Something she likes so much.
Laura I called her again ‘ I want to discuss something very important with you and I want you to listen carefully’ she looked at me with her eyes that are wide open now and any evident of sleep has vanished.
‘ Tomorrow Insha Allah you will not be getting married to that man istead…’
she caught me off by hugging me happily and saying ‘Inna thank you thank you’ then her face turned gloomy again suddenly ‘but Inna how is that going to happen when Abba has already made up his mind’
‘This girl that was what I wanted to say before you cut me off. You see I have sold this house and my farm. I have gathered enough money for us to run away from this village and go start a new life somewhere. And after we have settled maybe you will continue your education’

Before i could finish Laura was already shedding tears which I assume are tears of joy
‘And also I want this emotional Laura to be gone if we leave this village I want my once cheerful Laura who was not scared to say her mind to anybody back. Do you understand me.’ I said sternly to her.
She just nodded while trying to wipe her tears.
‘After fajr prayer before dawn Mlm surajo Aishas father Is coming to pick us with his bike he is going to take us to the park in shuwarin from there we will board the vehicle’
Laura asked curiously ‘Inna where are we going’
Inna sighed ‘Lauratu I don’t know but all I know is Allah will guide us.’

That night non of us could sleep. Immediately after I finished praying fajr I had someone knocking of the door outside. I looked at Laura ‘lauratu I think he is here carry your bag lets go’ I said while trying to carry my bag too which contain just few of my clothes and laura’s school certificate.
Laura immediately carried my bag along with her’s and walked out before I followed behind her.
I looked around my house one last time again before I walked out and closed the door.
They where already sitting on the bike when I got out. Mlm surajo  bend awkwardly as much as he could while still sitting on the bike to greet me.
We didn’t wait for much pleasantries before starting or journey we don’t want anybody to see us leaving.
It took us thirty minutes to get to shuwarin.
‘Surajo thank you for all your help may Allah reward you’ I thanked him
‘haba Inna you don’t need to thank me I did all I could do for laura she deserve more than marrying that useless tout. The only problem now is that you have sold your phone and we have no means of communication’ he sighed
‘ Don’t worry if Allah wills we will meet again’ I assured him
‘ Your’r right Inna if Allah wills, I have to start going now before anybody noticed I am not around.’ He looked at laura who had kept quite ever since we got here
‘toh Laura I am going back now may Allah be with you’ he said while placing his hand on her head.
He dipped his hand into his pocket and brought out some money, he gave them to me saying I should manage them.
He sat on his bike and was about to leave when Laura spoke for the first time ‘Baba please tell Mama and Aisha that I love them’ while trying to stop herself from crying.
He bade us good bye before leaving us by the road side