New Home

We head outside to the back and I see our group standing there. Deanna brings out an empty cart and I quirk a brow and nudge Rick.

"We are going to have to ask you to hand over your guns." Deanna says and I knew there was a catch to this whole thing.

Rick nods his head and puts his guns on the cart and the others reluctantly follow suit. I don't move a muscle. I only have one gun on me and I'm not going to be separated from it. It's not even loaded. Hasn't been since the night it was last shot.

"Keres." Abe says and motions his head toward the cart and my gun.

"Is there a problem?" Deanna asks and I stare her in the eyes.

"They're still going to be your guns, you can check them out whenever you go beyond the wall. But inside here, we store them safely." She tries to explain, but I don't move a muscle.

"It's not loaded." I state.

"Still-." She starts to say.

"I'm not giving you this gun. You can take everything else but this gun." I warn sharply and she tries to hold her ground.

"Keres-." Rick tries to say but I glare at him and then he realizes who's gun it is.

"Deanna, look, that was her brother's gun. It's one of the only things she has left of him. I promise you, it's never been loaded since his death." Rick explains and Deanna looks at him and then at the gun.

"I can't risk-." She starts arguing

"I don't need a weapon to kill you. Try and take it from me and you'll learn that first hand." I growl in a threatening tone.

She stares at me for what seems like forever, trying to decide what to do. Everyone stands there not daring to move a muscle. She seems to get that I'm being serious and gulps.

"What kind of gun is it." She asks calmly.

"Glock 17." I say not breaking eye contact.

"Alright. I'll add it. You can keep it on you."
She finally budges and takes a step back.

The tension decreases and I unclench my jaw. By the time everyone else's guns are on the cart it's completely full.

A large lady with brown hair takes the cart away after making a joke about bringing another bin. Aaron gives Rick a small nod and we go towards two large houses.

"These are your houses." He says and Rick and I look at one another in disbelief.

"Both of them?" Rick asks.

"At your disposal. I'd call dibs on that one. It's got more curb appeal." Aaron jokes.

"Listen, I know you're still feeling us out, but I'm glad you came. Anyway, Deanna's asked everyone to give you your space so they aren't all coming at you at once. Take your time. Explore. You need anything, you call me. I don't-we don't have phones. I meant I'm four houses down." Aaron explains.

"Thank you." Rick says.

"So..." Aaron nods and then leaves.

We go inside, carefully making sure it's clear. I go in first and see empty picture frames sitting neatly on a bench. The living room looks nice and clean. We head towards the kitchen and it's large and spacious. There's a white Island with a marble top. Carl turns the sink on and starts laughing.

Rick looks over at me and we both smirk. I race him to the bathroom upstairs and he wins but holds the door open for me to go first.

"Ladies first." He winks and I scoff.