Youth

I wake up the next morning to Carol making tea. I look out the window and see Lizzie playing with a walker. I rush out and Carol follows.

She yells at Lizzie to get away from the walker and Lizzie tries to stop her. I move past her and stab the walker in the head and it dies. Carol huffs as I get up and look at her with a raised brow.

"How you gonna handle this?" I scoff and walk away.

I can hear Lizzie screaming at Carol from inside and I just sip my tea and watch from the window. A few minutes later Carol looks over at me.

They come back inside and I can tell Carol is stressed.

"She thinks the walkers are her friends." Carol finally admits.

"Yeah, Mika told me. Now you know why I don't want her alone with Judith." I say and Tyreese just stands there.

"I wouldn't trust you alone with Judith either." Carol counters and I chuckle.

"Why do you think I had Tyreese take her?" I ask and Tyreese just looks at the ground.

"I'm gonna go foraging with Mika ." Carol says but brings a shot gun with.

"You good here?" I ask.

"Can I talk to you a minute?" Tyreese asks and I huff.

"Yeah. What's up?" I ask.

"I think you're right about Lizzie. I don't trust her alone with Judith either." He says and I nod my head.

———

Carol and Mika get back from 'foraging' but are empty handed. Mika couldn't do it. She couldn't kill.

Tyreese and Carol go outside to pump water and I go upstairs to watch Judith. I look out the window from upstairs and see Mika following Lizzie. They turn a corner and I can't see them.

"God damnit." I growl and close and lock the door to the room Judith is in and open the window.

I crawl out and close the window again. I jump down from the roof and hear screaming. A bunch of walkers are coming towards the house and Mika trips on the fence. I run and kill the walker after her and get her free. She runs and I take out my knife and start going through all the walkers. Lizzie shoots her gun and hits me in the arm.

"Fuck." I growl and tear my shirt sleeve open.

I cut my arm by the wound and get the bullet out.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to." Lizzie apologizes but I can tell it's a lie.

We get back to the house and I go inside and pick the lock on Judith's door and have Tyreese take her.

"You need to get that cleaned up." Carol says and I glare at her.

I head into the bathroom and take my shirt off. I start disinfecting the wound and then cleaning up the blood. Luckily it was a shit shot, so it didn't hit any arteries.

"Are you gonna be okay?" Mika asks sounding worried as she stands in the doorway.

"Yeah, I'll be fine." I assure her as I stitch the wound up with my left hand and mouth.

"You've done this a lot huh?" She asks and I know she sees my scars.

"Yeah. Got hurt a lot as a kid." I lie.

"Did your brother get hurt a lot too?" She asks and I huff.

"Yeah. He did." I admit.

"Everyone was always afraid of you at the prison. But I wasn't." She states and I scoff.