Chapter 24

Rebecca couldn't stop thinking about her and Colby's conversation from the coffee shop. After they got back home that afternoon, Colby called Brad back and told him he was going to have to think about it. And then him and Rebecca cuddled up together and watched another movie trying to take their minds off of work.

Rebecca felt horrible about the whole situation. Hanging out with Colby had made her so happy, and now that he has an opportunity to become her boss, she knows she may never feel that happiness again.

She knew they weren't actually in a relationship, but she was hoping the more they hung out, the more they would lean towards a relationship, because it would make them both happier than ever.

The next day Rebecca woke up hearing a loud thud come from downstairs. She sat up quickly and rubbed at her eyes, before slipping out of bed. She walked down cautiously, "Colby? Was that you?"

"Yep! It was me, I'm sorry." She heard his voice from a far and when she got to the bottom step she heard sizzling, so she knew he was cooking. "I dropped a glass...it shattered so I'm cleaning it up." He said holding pieces of glass in his hands.

Rebecca nodded and bent down to help him and they both threw the glass into a trash can. "You didn't have to cook."

Colby looked at her and gave her a sympathetic smile. "I wanted to. It's the least I could do..."

Rebecca pressed her lips together in a sad smile before sitting on the bar stool to watch him. "I'm not mad at you, I hope you know that." Rebecca said to him. "I understand if you want the job Colby..."

He stopped flipping the bacon and turned around the face her. He stared into her eyes before shaking his head. "I don't know what to do. If I took the job I would fix all the crap Brad has done, but then I would lose you, Rebecca. And this sounds cliche but...you're more important than that."

Rebecca smiled. "I shouldn't be though Colby. I'm not even your real girlfriend and if you took that job you would become the face of New York!"

Colby shook his head. "I know that Rebecca. And maybe I don't want to be the face of New York ya know?"

Rebecca shook her head and stood up going around the corner of the island to stand in front of him. "Colby you would do amazing as our manager! You've got the credibility, you have the looks, you have everything that all of us don't have."

Colby grabbed her shoulders and shook his head again. "That's the point Rebecca! Everyone thinks I'm better than them but I'm not! I'm getting tired of being the "arrogant man" in our department." He paused when Rebecca's phone rang.

She looked up at him and kissed his cheek before grabbing her phone and going into her living room. "Katie? Hey! What's up?"

She heard Katie sigh from the other end of the phone. "Are you guys busy? I need two people to go down to the venue to help decorate."

Rebecca scratched her head and nodded. "Yeah, of course! We'll be down there shortly. Bye Katie."

She walked back into the kitchen. "Me and you have to go down to the venue. We have to decorate..."

Colby nodded. "Ok, we'll go after breakfast."

The car drive was basically silent, except for the few questions Colby asked about how to get there. They arrived around 12, so Rebecca got the decorations and brought them inside the venue while Colby went outside were the ceremony was going to be held. He was going to set up the seats while she set the inside up.

At least that's what they planned on doing. Rebecca was currently trying to get away from Bryan, who decided it would be a great idea to come help.

Rebecca was still mad at him for touching her the other day, and mostly because he almost kissed her. She wished she could run back time, because if she could, she wouldn't have sat there frozen, she would have beat him till death.

"I just don't understand why you're so mad at me." Bryan stated placing candles on the other side of the table that Rebecca was decorating. "I was just touching you. And me and you both know I'm a way better boyfriend than that douchebag."

Rebecca slammed her box down on the ground. "You don't talk about him like that Bryan! He's not a douchebag, if it's anyone who is, it's you!"

Bryan chuckled. "You sound ridiculous Rebecca." He then got up closer to her putting her between a table and a wall where she couldn't move. "You know he's only dating you because of your looks. That's the only reason I was with you Rebecca. If it wasn't for your sexy body, you two wouldn't even be together."

He then smirked as he pushed her out from the wall. "You're a pathetic little slut."

Rebecca then grabbed her box and tried to continue working once he left, but instead she just sat down on the floor crying, letting his words cut deeper than a knife.