Chapter twenty-four: New Moon

9 weeks ago, Shiro had a broken nose and Keith had a broken arm, both of them had to take a combined week to heal, so they had left much later. Despite that, Shiro and Keith still continue on their journey to find the Samurai, so on a boat that they got from a man, back to Aurs that was selling boats on the riverbank, at the Fjord.

"Ooh, this feels so nice!" Shiro said.

Keith, Shiro, and Stats (as well as Romelle) were drifting down a river by boat. As Shiro and Romelle took in the refreshing breeze, Stats leaned over the side of the boat, his face a sickly green color while Keith sat at the bow, his eyes focused on the path forward.

"Oh, look over there!" Romelle exclaimed as she pointed at the water. "Fish!"

Keith scoffed. "Listen here, Romelle. We don't have time to play around."

"Aww, come on, Keith," said Romelle. "Just look at all the lovely scenery! Relax, once in a while, y'know?"

"We're not here to relax!" Keith barked.

"What is going on with you?" Shiro asked. "You've been acting weird after we left, it's almost like you've been freaked out about something."

He was right, ever since they left, Keith had his gaze up to the moon. He glared at it, almost hatefully...his body seeming more tense than usual.

"What's with that look on your face?" asked Keith with a glare.

"Is everything okay?" Shiro questioned. "You seem pretty tense."

"It's nothing," Keith replied.

"But Keith," Shiro started.

"I said it's nothing!" Keith spat, causing both of them to shrink back for a moment...but then Shiro sighed in resignation and continued to hold the paddle...but he gave the half-daemon one last look.

"Keith," he started, "remember...there's nothing you can't tell me. We're friends."

With that, everyone went back on their Merry way, leaving Keith to sit there, pondering Shiro's words...but then he scoffed as he looked away.

"As if he would know... because night...is the only time I ever feel afraid..." Keith through.

"Sssstaatsss..." Stats groaned. "Stats."

"Seriously, Stats?" asked Keith. "Whoever heard of a seasick daemon?"

Suddenly, a loud shriek pierced the air, causing the group to look up and see a young Hawaiian girl of at least 12 years old, standing on a cliff while holding a bouquet of wildflowers.

"Who's that?" asked Romelle.

"I dunno," Shiro began, "but it looks like she's in trouble! Look there!"

Behind the girl, there was a shadowy figure with glowing yellow eyes, glaring after her.

"What is that?!" Keith questioned.

"Keith!" Romelle exclaimed. "It's a dark daemon!"

"What the-?!" Keith questioned. "Where the hell did they come from?!"

"I don't know." Romelle said.

Then, it suddenly lunged at the girl, who stumbled back as she tried to run, only to fall off the cliff with a terrified scream!

"Oh, no!" Shiro cried.

"She's about to fall right on top of us!" Romelle shouted.

"Relax," Keith said as he stood up. "I got this." He then leaped up and caught the girl in his arms with relative ease.