Chapter Thirteen: Twilight

Keith soared through the air, using tree branches to propel himself higher. But his freedom was short-lived, as he soon found himself surrounded by a group of people wielding knives, sickles, and axes. They floated through the air, their eyes vacant, their heads lolling limply.

"What the...?" Keith muttered, dodging their attacks. He grabbed two of them, using his agility to evade their blows.

Just then, Sokka called out from the ground, "Stop! Don't harm them, Keith!"

Keith turned to see Sokka lying in a pool of blood. "What's going on? Why are these people attacking me?"

Sokka struggled to sit up. "They're being controlled by someone...or something. We need Shiro, now!"

Keith snarled. "I'll take care of them myself."

But Sokka warned, "No, Keith! You can't defeat the one controlling them without Shiro's help!"

Keith scoffed. "I don't need Shiro's help."

As he spoke, the controlled villagers closed in. Sokka shouted, "Keith, look out! Flee while you can!"

But Keith stood his ground, even when the villagers entangled him in wire. He smirked, "I'll drag whoever's controlling them out!"

With a fierce yank, Keith pulled on the wire, but it went slack, sending him tumbling to the ground. Twyla, watching from a nearby tree, chuckled. "The wire will only grow stronger."

She formed a circle of wire in her fingers, and Keith found himself trapped against a tree trunk, the wire tightening around his neck. But he managed to break free, leaping away just in time.

As he caught his breath, Sokka approached him, warning, "More of them are coming!"

Keith growled, "Grab onto me, Sokka. We need to get out of here!"

With Sokka clinging to his back, Keith leaped into action, dodging the wire net that Twyla had set for him. As they escaped, Twyla giggled, "This half-daemon is more fun than I thought!"

After escaping their pursuers, Keith and Sokka found refuge in the heart of a tree. Keith laid Sokka down, concerned. "Hey, old man, can you see where the wire leads?"

Sokka's eyes, cloudy with age, struggled to focus. "My sight is failing me, Keith. We need Shiro's help."

Keith's frustration grew. "So, Shiro's the only one who can see the wire? I thought I was rid of him!"

Sokka sensed Keith's animosity. "Why are you against Shiro?"

Keith hesitated, revealing a deep-seated insecurity. "He doesn't believe in me. Thinks I'm a lost cause, a discipline issue, and a worthless half-daemon."

Sokka's gentle touch on the quintessence Crystal seemed to absorb Keith's pain. "You're not worthless, Keith. You're more than you know."

As they spoke, Sokka led Keith to his workshop, a hidden sanctuary within the tree. The old man's magic illuminated the space, revealing a haven of ancient artifacts and mysterious devices.

Meanwhile, outside, Twyla coordinated her search for more rebels, using her puppets to scout the area. Her earpiece crackled with a soldier's voice. "Commander, we've secured the lobby. Should we search other sectors?"

Twyla's response was cold, calculated. "Yes, take the prisoners to our camp. They'll face the punishment they deserve."

The soldier acknowledged, "Vrepit Sa!"

As the Galra Empire's grip tightened around the rebels' stronghold, Twyla's thoughts turned to Emperor Zarkon. The conquest of the Great Tree of Balto would be a triumph, one that would bring her dark lord's favor.