♡ dear too much || watanabe haruto

✩ DEAR TOO MUCH ✩

"Hey, there! You must be Haruto!"

The raven-haired male turned at the cheerful voice, brows furrowed amusingly as he saw you in front of him, enthusiastic as ever.

"Yep." He curtly nodded, scooting to the side to make space on your lab table. "You are Y/N, I'm assuming?"

"The one and only!"

"Good to know."

As an overenthusiastic Hufflepuff, you were always told to take it down a notch as your attitude could be overbearing to people — especially Slytherins.

And seeing Haruto's slight smile and brief replies, you figured you were going a little overboard with your energy.

"Uh, if you ever feel like I'm too much, please don't hesitate to tell me," you quietly stated, a small smile on your face. "I'm trying to work on it."

Watanabe Haruto didn't know why, but hearing you say that made him frown, realizing you must've been told on multiple occasions to calm down.

On any other day, the raven-haired male would've made some sort of snarky remark, but seeing the way you nervously smiled at him, all he could do was shrug off your comment.

"I'm not much and you are too much; I think we balance out each other well."

|<><><><><>|

As the days passed by, you and Haruto only got closer — or at least, that's what you thought. You were constantly rambling, and he kept listening to whatever you had to say, never complaining.

"There were these pretty rings at this stall on Knockturn Alley. They were so beautiful with these butterflies and little flower engravings!" You gushed, pouting as you looked at your empty fingers. "I couldn't buy them, though. Woo was in a hurry, and we didn't have time to go shopping."

Haruto only hummed in response, like he always did, signaling that he was listening to you. He walked around the table as he followed the recipe for the potion you were making in class today, not really bothered by your lack of help.

"Ah, and there was this bracelet with a little golden snitch charm, which was the cutest thing ever!" You cooed, remembering the accessory you wanted. "But they sold them in pairs, and I don't really have anyone to wear them with, so I didn't buy those either."

The raven-haired male hummed again in response, frowning at the book in his hands. "The letters are smudged on this book. I'll go get another one," he stated, moving to the back of the class as you stayed in your place.

You never really minded Haruto not replying to your talks. Just the fact that he listened meant a lot to you.

But in the back of your head, you always wondered if he truly listened or just nodded to make you stop talking.

"The idiot ran away because you were talking his ears off." Your brows furrowed as you saw your Gryffindor friend, Jeongwoo, frowning. "He's a Slytherin, for Merlin's sake."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Junghwan sighed. "He's not listening to what you are saying," he confessed. "I know you are trying to make friends, but this guy is probably not it." He gave a sympathetic smile.

"Oh."

"Don't get your heart broken, okay?" Jeongwoo walked by, ruffling your hair affectionately. "I don't want to have any points taken off Gryffindor for teaching a Slytherin a lesson."

You stayed silent after the exchange, taking this time to think about everything. Maybe they are right. Maybe that's why he hasn't been responding to me properly. You sighed, going back to taking notes on your work.

Watanabe Haruto returned with another book, going back to his work — expecting you to continue your ramblings about your day. However, when you barely spoke to him, he raised his brows in concern, looking over at you.

"Everything okay, Y/N?"

"Yeah, the potion seems to be brewing fine. No explosions so far."

The raven-haired male frowned, knowing very well that you knew he wasn't talking about the potion. His gaze darted to the table behind you, noticing Jeongwoo and Junghwan glancing over at you worriedly from time to time.

Were you told to calm yourself down again? But why?

Haruto shouldn't have felt anything when he saw you with a blank face — in fact, he shouldn't have been dying to see you smile and ramble again, like you always did.

He only left you for two minutes, and you changed so drastically that he couldn't help but think that he had something to do with it.

Was it because he never replied properly? Was it because he didn't seem like he cared?

Whatever it was, Watanabe Haruto didn't like it — mostly because he didn't like seeing you down.

|<><><><><>|

The Great Hall was crowded, as always; the chattering and giggling of children filling the entire room. You sat with your friends, picking at your breakfast, completely oblivious to their looks of worry.

"Hey, Y/N." Junghwan broke the silence, getting your attention. "Are you still down about yesterday? Because–"

"I'm fine."

"We just don't want you to be hurt, okay? We could be wrong and–"

You dropped the fork in your hands, clattering it against your plate. "I get it, okay? I'm just kinda sad because I really thought of him as a friend," you muttered, looking down.

Junghwan half-heartedly smiled. "Hey, maybe we can–" The screeching of an owl cut him off, followed by it swooping low by their table and dropping a little package.

Right in front of you.

Brows furrowed, you gently took the package in your hands, slowly removing the wrapping before opening the little box.

A confused smile took over your face as you saw the very accessories you had been eyeing at Knockturn Alley. All the way from the rings with the butterflies and little flower engravings to the bracelet with a little golden snitch charm; it was all in the box.

Did Jeongwoo feel bad and buy those as an apology?

You noticed a note at the bottom of the box, realizing it was definitely not Jeongwoo as you read it.

Dear Too Much, I suck at this whole friendship thing, so I'm sorry if I ever make you feel like you are annoying me. I promise you are not, and I promise I am listening to you. Sincerely, Not Much.

It didn't take Junghwan long to figure out who the package was from, seeing the way you smiled as you read the note. Plus, the way the Slytherin kept trying to see your reaction from the other table wasn't exactly slick either.

"From Haruto?" He asked, even though he already knew the answer.

"I guess he was actually listening to my stupid ramblings, after all."